Thursday, July 21 “DCI Denton” …. Apogee Stadium at the University of North Texas Denton, TEXAS … Thursday, July 21… 7:50 PM CT

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Looks like another late night! Thanks for doing this! 

"Thank you Terri".  I just have to be "very" careful ... making sure everything is accurate.  I am "double" & "triple" checking  ... throughout the entire process.     

Looking forward to this evening's competition.  The shows are "all" great.  Results will be interesting ... the final scores, yes ... but also the captions.  As others have mentioned we have some different Corps match ups this evening.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I don't know the policy, but at one show I know they announced the "DCI Policy" of video, audio, & still photography not being allowed.  But before COVID, I attended NightBEAT in Winston-Salem and was 'scolded' by a Crown official (at least he had a Crown polo) for taking a picture of a former student marching with Boston.  He really 'made a scene' during their performance.  I was an easy target with an aisle seat.  

When did they add STILL PHOTOGRAPHY to the restrictions? I remember at one point they weren't allowing audience members to use professional (read: DSLR-type) cameras, but that was the closest I remember to hearing any restrictions on photos. I can't imagine ANY good reason not to allow still photos.

38 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I don't know the policy, but at one show I know they announced the "DCI Policy" of video, audio, & still photography not being allowed.  But before COVID, I attended NightBEAT in Winston-Salem and was 'scolded' by a Crown official (at least he had a Crown polo) for taking a picture of a former student marching with Boston.  He really 'made a scene' during their performance.  I was an easy target with an aisle seat.  

The folks around me were upset because of his actions.  I tried to find him between corps to tell him it was 'still photography' of a student but he was gone.  He looked like a "want-a-be" with just a little power?  Anyway, it left a wound & emotional scar for which I probably need therapy... 😁   

Incidents need to be handled between performances & with a professional demeanor.   Maybe with a little more kindness & ice cream?

I got to go with my kids (ages 18 and 20) to see Tool at the AAC in Dallas back in January. That band has a super strict policy forbidding any still or video during their shows. (Except the last song, where Maynard tells everyone they can take their phones out.) There was a lady near my son who got kicked out about a third of the way into the show. (The guy with her stayed in his seat to finish out, LOL.)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, year1buick said:

I got to go with my kids (ages 18 and 20) to see Tool at the AAC in Dallas back in January. That band has a super strict policy forbidding any still or video during their shows. (Except the last song, where Maynard tells everyone they can take their phones out.) There was a lady near my son who got kicked out about a third of the way into the show. (The guy with her stayed in his seat to finish out, LOL.)

I have to look up Tool. 

• Haha 2

There’s a slight chance of a storm or two popping up later in the day but they’ll be widely scattered and most die down pretty quickly once the sun goes down.

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

When did they add STILL PHOTOGRAPHY to the restrictions? I remember at one point they weren't allowing audience members to use professional (read: DSLR-type) cameras, but that was the closest I remember to hearing any restrictions on photos. I can't imagine ANY good reason not to allow still photos.

I have no clue but it was announced at one of the shows that I've attended thus far.  It could be the local show lumps everything together?  To date, I've attended Muncie, Tupelo, & Memphis.  I'm going to check the DCI website to see if there's a policy listed.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

Well, I found this with a simple Google search on Marching.com.  Looked on the DCI website, but I guess you have to open the policy manual.  I bet the local shows think it includes still photography which is just goofy.  

I usually turn my iPhone on it's side to take pictures.  Wish I had know this policy at the Winston-Salem show before COVID.  I'd shown him the policy on my phone. 😁    

The local promoters need to communicate these policies to their volunteer event staff workers.  I've been taking pictures of students in Indy for several years.   

https://marching.com/events/dci-world-championships/

Photo and Video Policy

• Family, friends and fans may take still photos of DCI events for personal use only. The images may not be sold or otherwise distributed on a Web site or in print, without the written permission of Drum Corps International or the corps that was photographed. 
• Small, nonprofessional, single frame "point & shoot" and digital cameras are allowed into the venue. Please be considerate of the performers and the fans seated around you. Professional cameras or cameras with lenses longer than six inches are prohibited, and all forms of video and motion picture cameras and sound recording devices are strictly prohibited. Tripods or other similar equipment that may obstruct the view or path of travel of others in the stands are also not allowed.

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Video is not allowed due to copyright and licensing issues. DCI covers itself legally by making the announcement but has no obligation to enforce the rule. I’m sure DCI likes the policy so people will purchase Blu-rays and downloads, but with so many people using cellphones as video cameras, it could never be policed.  

Well aware, but like I mentioned nobody cares. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Such a great show. Saw 'em in Raleigh