Thursday, July 21 “DCI Denton” …. Apogee Stadium at the University of North Texas Denton, TEXAS … Thursday, July 21… 7:50 PM CT

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Happy to hear this young man is going to be ok.  Also happy to see how much BETTER medical care is given to marching members in modern Drum Corps.  Corps trainers and concussion protocols....?  BITD he would have been given a bandaid, salt pill, and told to walk it off.  

When I was playing high school football in the early/mid 90s, I took a vicious helmet to helmet hit in a road game. Teammates told me I was out for about two seconds. Went to the sidelines, they gave me some smelling salts, asked me where I was, who we were playing against, I answered the questions, trainer yells "Coach he is good to go!" I was back in the game two plays later, played the rest of the game a little dizzy with a buzzing in my ears lol. 

Knowing what know now, I definitely played with a concussion. And that wasn't the only time, and I wasn't the only one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

When I was playing high school football in the early/mid 90s, I took a vicious helmet to helmet hit in a road game. Teammates told me I was out for about two seconds. Went to the sidelines, they gave me some smelling salts, asked me where I was, who we were playing against, I answered the questions, trainer yells "Coach he is good to go!" I was back in the game two plays later, played the rest of the game a little dizzy with a buzzing in my ears lol. 

Knowing what know now, I definitely played with a concussion. And that wasn't the only time, and I wasn't the only one. 

The injuries they let me march with...

Glad those times are behind us and hoping most of the corps are on their game with mediating injuries and illness this year. Otherwise, members should be ready to hold them accountable.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Where did this come from?  That’s nasty! Must have been deleted.

I showed Jim that and he said just remember that when you’re in Indy.  Because that’s what they think of you. 

Terri Schehr, for years, just the mere recognition of your name on DCP, always delights this Old Drum CorpsRelics Soul. I  always enjoy and respect your level headed comments and positive outlook on our activity.  Please clarify for me, What is meant by "Just remember that when you're in indy, (which I plan to be) because that is what they think of you (Me?) 🤔 Thank You.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The injuries they let me march with...

Glad those times are behind us and hoping most of the corps are on their game with mediating injuries and illness this year. Otherwise, members should be ready to hold them accountable.

Pretty sure Health & Wellness teams are a mandated part of every corps' entourage now. Like COVID protocols, I think corps all submit their H&W plans to DCI as well.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Poppycock said:

My mother worked in a mental hospital. Once when I was walking down the hall to her station a woman was pretending to be playing a air piano. I sat down next to her and ask what she was doing. She said she couldn’t get one section of the music correct and ask if I could help.  I also pretended to play air piano and when I stopped she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, thank you darling that sounds so much better. Never know what you’re dealing with! 

Poppycock thank you for sharing, you raised my Spirits a mile high!

I am a cognitively challenged. For years Friends of mine would personally tell me,  and years later (after keeping my   Piano playing and His Music in the closet),  I'd eventually would come to accept my truth, as a Gifted, self-taught Pianist/Composer despite my inability to read or write music. Your absolutely compassionate and angelic response to the air-piano performing lady left me in tears! Like you brilliantly said "You Never know what you are dealing with."  I hope you came to the realization (as she did) that darling, in that miraculous moment, you became for that precious soul, *"An Angel Sent". I AM SO PROUD IF YOU! BRAVO And Cheers Mate.

* Title of the Debut CD released on 2002.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I hope you'll excuse this old timer if I'm skeptical. My wounds from the activity run very very deep.

I'm glad to read all of these procedures and protocols. But they're nothing if the implementation is sloppy, has gaps, or there's limited buyin by staffers. I want to be wrong. I'm just... not convinced yet.

From DCI’s Policies & Procedures Manual (last updated 2022):

POLICY 324 - Health, Wellness, & Safety
All DCI Participating Organizations on tour are required to have appropriately documented health, wellness, and safety policies, procedures, and practices to minimize any risks to their members, staff, and volunteers. The Participating Organization shall, in writing, confirm the existence and use of such policies, procedures, and practices to DCI for the upcoming
competitive year on or before May 15th.

All Participating Organizations shall maintain an appropriately licensed or registered healthcare or medical professional team leader to provide on-site supervision, advice, and appropriate treatment (if necessary) during any organized activities taking place from May 15th through the period the Participating Organization officially disbands for the season. An appropriately licensed healthcare or medical professional includes an ATC, MD, DO, PA, ARNP, RN, PT,
Paramedic and/or EMT.

https://www.dci.org/static/about-drum-corps-international

Edited by brassboy
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Careful, with those view points, you'll be labeled part of the ABBD crowd and a hater.

Sign me up , what is it ??

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DrumCorpsRelic said:

Terri Schehr, for years, just the mere recognition of your name on DCP, always delights this Old Drum CorpsRelics Soul. I  always enjoy and respect your level headed comments and positive outlook on our activity.  Please clarify for me, What is meant by "Just remember that when you're in indy, (which I plan to be) because that is what they think of you (Me?) 🤔 Thank You.

Not you. The comment you quoted.  About us old people.  It’s tiresome and boring. I guess they don’t plan on being old in the future.  Live hard and die young, perhaps?

Anyway, not directed at you.