Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Just a clarification:  I’m not angry or at anyone’s throat.  I’m frustrated.  We made fun of that witch Phantom had mercilessly.  I was a donor and Jim was a volunteer of Cadets in 2014 and I made fun of droopy Capitol building and the Oprah tarp.  And that stage…  I was relentless.  

didn’t mean you Terri! ❤️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I don’t actually have anyone on ignore despite the occasional snark and nastiness. People think i am stirring the pot when i ask a question, but i genuinely just want an answer. I have no problem having a heated discussion, as long as everyone remains respectful. This activity is all about passion, so some frustration and venting comes with the territory. As does a level of trash talking. Same as any competitive activity. What i LIKE about DCP is that, if someone goes over the line, many people usually cry foul!

Exactly. This forum is by far one of the tamest places on the internet due to self moderation + the actual moderation. And it is very easy to just keep scrolling if something is not to one’s liking. I’ve been personally attacked multiple times this season already on here by fans of a certain corps but you just gotta keep scrolling, throw ‘em a laughing emoji, and not let it bother you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

No one was making fun of any injury.  They were making fun of the giant sheet that has heads sticking out of it and it looks like the whack a mole game.  But I can see how playing the victim is the order of the day with some people. 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Using that member’s injury as a human shield is kind of gross but have at it. 

I’m glad someone said it. I can’t help but roll my eyes, because associating that injury with the comment about the large fabric had quite literally nothing to do with each other. Im sure whoever posted the original comment about it (im genuinely not sure who did) would be horrified that it’s being maliciously twisted into a comment making fun of an injury to a member. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I was glad to see that he had the presence of mind to leave the field immediately after that happened. I hope he’s okay. 

Worth reiterating that a lot of people didn’t even know this happened, or didn’t know he ran off field because it was serious  (multi-cam didn’t show that part) … So I think the leap here is iffy. It’s pretty clear that’s not what the joke over the fabric was about. I get that people are sensitive over Crown getting teased for their ballad fabric, but using this kid’s injury to make Crown into some sacred cow is really gross. 

Interesting comparison of then & now is that we had an injured member once that crossed front sideline for medical assistance.  That earned us a 0.5 penalty for a boundary violation. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Do we know if the individual hit by the rifle Thursday was on the field last night?  I know rifles are much lighter now than BITD when I marched (and were even heavier, de-milled real 1903 Springfields before that). So, I hope it was only a flesh wound.

Crown didn’t divulge the results of the concussion protocol, but I am hoping it’s all precautionary and that the member didn’t actually sustain a concussion 

23 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I've considered something similar, actually. Thank you for sharing.

Beautifully said. Hey, do you mind if I made a plaque and sent this to SC HQ with this on it? Gail set them on the path of forward momentum so fully that they're terrified of looking back at the skeletons in the closet. Skeletons like me.

I would only add to the advice that you have to know your boundaries ...to the point that you can stand up to staff and say no, I can't march, I need time to heal. Holes are better than life long injuries.

Go for it - post a photo if you don't mind.

3 hours ago, DCIFan2022 said:

I wish the best to all of the corps. This is shaping out to be such an amazing season with really talented corps! Good luck tonight to all! I will not be participating in this platform anymore. There seem to be members of certain corps bullying, saying awful things (about kids!) and stirring the pot so that certain corps get a bad rep. Last night I read some posts in yesterday’s competition forum that really disappointed me. It’s usually the same two or three posters who stir the pot with mean comments (even making fun of a very serious injury a member of Crown obtained a few nights ago). I remember the days prior to when certain people joined this forum where we could comment,  critique, and congratulate each other with civility. I miss that terribly. The lack of respect and immatureness in here has ruined it for me and I will continue to support DCI and all of the corps in other platforms. Good luck to all and congratulations to all Corps. Keep supporting the arts, be kind, and stop the hate! 

Don't Leave! We need more positive and respectful members here to keep things balance. Don't let them push you out. I almost leave two weeks ago similarly, but some amazing people here remind me that great people are here, and this place can still be fun. Stay and enjoy the rest of the season with us.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Exactly. This forum is by far one of the tamest places on the internet due to self moderation + the actual moderation. And it is very easy to just keep scrolling if something is not to one’s liking. I’ve been personally attacked multiple times this season already on here by fans of a certain corps but you just gotta keep scrolling, throw ‘em a laughing emoji, and not let it bother you 

And at the end of the day, we are very lucky to even have an activity to discuss at all at this point. It was completely gone for a few years and the chances of it not returning in its previous form were real. Personally, I'm even more grateful than usual to all those involved in putting in the huge efforts needed to create these shows. ESPECIALLY the members, who have had to participate with a potential risk to health and safety even more than it was in normal times.

Some still seem incredibly tied up with "the win," and that seems unfortunate at this point in time. It's an opportunity to enjoy great entertainment produced by people loving what they do. That is focus right now.