Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

1 minute ago, lyndakay27 said:

I thought playing bass drum would be fairly safe, but my daughter had a concussion at Crown when a prop took her down. She was out for a week. BD lost a contra this year to stress fractures. It’s not easy on our kids’ bodies. 

We have to give them our support, because they are baking themselves in sun all summer and sometimes risking bodily injures to put on a great show for us. Let's keep them prayed up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I’d like a full on block feature and to easily post photos but I don’t think we’re getting either one. 

Block: Yes. Don't want to even see quoted posts from someone I've blocked.

Photos: I really miss using the DrumScorps app to post photos to Corps and show threads, but I understand the storage and bandwidth issues. I used to post show pics (The Wife on tour sent me) using my Dropbox account. I had to upgrade my account due to the activity -- downloads per hour exceeded. They finally stopped allowing direct links to photos. 

• Like 1

Just now, CrownBariDad said:

Block: Yes. Don't want to even see quoted posts from someone I've blocked.

Photos: I really miss using the DrumScorps app to post photos to Corps and show threads, but I understand the storage and bandwidth issues. I used to post show pics (The Wife on tour sent me) using my Dropbox account. I had to upgrade my account due to the activity -- downloads per hour exceeded. They finally stopped allowing direct links to photos. 

Bless you but I’m not even trying with the photos. Lol 

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Nope but there is an upside.  When my kid had to have open heart surgery, the respiratory therapist said he had the lung capacity of a world class athlete.  

Yes - I have a lot going on in the chronic medical world, but lungs & heart are holding up pretty well.  I make it a point to max-out every time that breathing gadget they make you use post-surgery (it's a Contra thing).  And my cholesterol numbers are best docs have seen (brother is like that too & he dabbles in competitive BBQ, so genetics?).  

But plenty of other stuff wrong that can kill me.😎

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I think it is actually much, much better than it used to be. Most of the staffs have a focus on health, wellness and proper training that we couldn't even dream about years ago (which is why we are all having joint replacements en masse 😂).

Thank you. I have no doubt it's better.

I've spent the last 20 years learning movement, somatic, and healing techniques that have enabled me to avoid surgery so far.

Again, I think corps are better at injury RECOVERY. My real problem is that after my experiences with somatics and movement analysis, I see choreography and movement books that cause MMs to hold unnecessary tension. Locked tension leads to injury, period. If choreographers in drum corps had more experience outside of drum corps they'd see this too. For example, watch the inversions (or handstands) that SC performs tonight. Many of them are still putting their whole body weight on just their fingers. I've said it elsewhere: this is modern dance 101, to put the palm of your hand on the dang ground. Using just your fingers is a bad habit and reinforces unnecessary tension in the body. This is just one example and I see it across corps.

• Thanks 1

Gotta get ready to head over to my corps/poker buddy's place to watch the whole show with the rest of the gang (not to be confused with Poppycock's Posse). Enjoy the show, everyone and may your favorites perform well and make you happy. Behave. No sharp objects allowed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

IMO injuries occur in all sports regardless of your age.

It’s also why there are alternate’s. I was always thankful that BD understood that the body needs to rest and rejuvenate. To this day it’s still planned for days in the schedule to get fresh again. They understand that a person can only retain so much information for a specific period of time, and the body can only endure some much physical activity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Last thing I'll say on injuries for now:

Drum corps could learn a lot from pro sports: treat the MM's bodies like the F'ING top-of-the-line machines they are! There is no need to risk injury in the wind: modify that #### and keep the kids safe so they can go all out for finals!

I've been nervously watching SC's guard holes shift ever since I tuned in in late June. 😬 I've been hoping that they were using an abundance of caution and I think I may have been right. Especially during a pandemic, there's no reason to push the kids this early in the season. Let them ease into finals so they can give it there all THEN!

Just now, Poppycock said:

IMO injuries occur in all sports regardless of your age.

It’s also why there are alternate’s. I was always thankful that BD understood that the body needs to rest and rejuvenate. To this day it’s still planned for days in the schedule to get fresh again. They understand that a person can only retain so much information for a specific period of time, and the body can only endure some much physical activity. 

Top notch!