Jersey Surf Needs Our Help

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Don't forget they lowered their fees to help members afford to march. 

Bob Jacobs admitted that the reduced fees did nothing to help with recruitment.  Fewer members paying fees is part of the reason they are in the situation that they are in. I expect that DCI will remove then from tour if they  don't have  the funds in hand to complete the season rather then having them take on debt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and no income for the shows

Except for championship week DCI prepays all show income.  Based on Bob's plea Surf  appears not to have enough income coming in.   Housing is not the issue.  Transportation and food are the big expense.

7 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

Bob Jacobs admitted that the reduced fees did nothing to help with recruitment.  Fewer members paying fees is part of the reason they are in the situation that they are in. I expect that DCI will remove then from tour if they  don't have  the funds in hand to complete the season rather then having them take on debt.

There’s a lot of reasons they’re in this position. Some will be their fault, some will not.  I’ll skip the dissertation on non-profit arts management and simply say... If you can skip a latte this week, give what you’d have spent on that to them. 

In theory the board and admin are scrambling to gather cash as fast as possible to meet their expected costs, and they’re looking at every possible option, and they’ll reevaluate at the end of the season.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

There’s a lot of reasons they’re in this position. Some will be their fault, some will not.  I’ll skip the dissertation on non-profit arts management and simply say... If you can skip a latte this week, give what you’d have spent on that to them. 

In theory the board and admin are scrambling to gather cash as fast as possible to meet their expected costs, and they’re looking at every possible option, and they’ll reevaluate at the end of the season.  

And yes. I just donated as well. 

2 hours ago, bitman said:

How could anyone plan for this? Who would have thought that the economy would be as bad as it is right now.  Prices are out of control and I am sure all of the Corps have been blindsided.  I will be donating too.

I don’t know about that.  I run a school district and we saw expenses already increasing starting last winter.  By February, all our vendors were charging more than previous years.  We planned for this year’s fiscal budget well in advance that our dollar would not stretch as far.  

I was happy to donate today though because Bob has done great things for Surf and the activity.  

For sure though a review of their fiscal situation as an organization needs to be reviewed. 

13 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I don’t know about that.  I run a school district and we saw expenses already increasing starting last winter.  By February, all our vendors were charging more than previous years.  We planned for this year’s fiscal budget well in advance that our dollar would not stretch as far.  

I was happy to donate today though because Bob has done great things for Surf and the activity.  

For sure though a review of their fiscal situation as an organization needs to be reviewed. 

Yeah. I’m with you on that.  A shortfall like this, to me, means development didn’t make its numbers, and thus less students and less fees from those who did march compounded the already existing problem. 

im increasing budget estimates for stuff 6 months to a year out 1.3x-3.3x depending on the metropolitan area of the project and the gear needed. So we don’t get to bidding time and realize we’re low. 

Edited by C.Holland

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

no. a financial review after the season is a better way. this isn't a Pioneer like situation

While it's not a Pioneer-like situation at the moment, it's not out of the realm of possibility that member safety could potentially be compromised in some fashion (even unintentionally) if they don't have sufficient funds to adequately complete the tour. 

At minimum the corps should have additional oversight the remainder of the season, similar to what happened with Pioneer the last couple weeks of the 2018 season.  DCI can't cherry pick which corps are going to be scrutinized based on whether they like the director or not.

• Like 1

It was mentioned that the cancelled season and the bridge season would hurt some corps; and it, unfortunately, looks like Jersey Surf seems to be a victim of the circumstances. 
For those comparing Jersey Surf's situation to Pioneer; just stop. Not even close. 

• Like 3