Jersey Surf Needs Our Help

I'll donate.

But I think I did this 3-4 years ago for a corps also announcing they were in trouble during tour (truck accident?), and then subsequent reports made me feel like I might have gotten a little scammed. That probably wasn't literally true, but I recall some discussion at least about the fuzziness of the request.

I donated to Pioneer, too.

And I think it is arguable about planning. Things change from the date of projections, of course. All forecasts are wrong. But for this tour, organizations ought to have set out only with very healthy reserves on hand. Maybe JS had reserves. I don't know.

So I am not at all attacking JS management, since I know no details. I'm just making a general point: There has been enough uncertainty for enough months that good boards had all they needed to understand risks. All kinds of businesses and nonprofits are dealing with great uncertainty and much of the same economic conditions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

While it's not a Pioneer-like situation at the moment, it's not out of the realm of possibility that member safety could potentially be compromised in some fashion (even unintentionally) if they don't have sufficient funds to adequately complete the tour. 

At minimum the corps should have additional oversight the remainder of the season, similar to what happened with Pioneer the last couple weeks of the 2018 season.  DCI can't cherry pick which corps are going to be scrutinized based on whether they like the director or not.

I’m sure Surf could make it work safely they’d rather not deplete the reserves. Often robbing Peter to pay Paul has killed many a corps. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I will donate for sure but to not plan for this is questionable.

It is no surprise to see some criticism whenever a corps makes an appeal of this nature.  But anyone who says that the corps did "not plan for this" simply has not been paying attention.  Of all the corps in DCI, Jersey Surf may be the one that has made the greatest number of difficult decisions to adjust to their circumstances.  Most notably among them were the decisions to sit out 2021, the dues adjustment, and two massive cutbacks to their 2022 tour schedule.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

How does he know this to be true

It COULD be that they already had a number of members committed at the higher price,  but to "fill the corps" and try to be more competitive, they made the decision to lower tuition fees to all members.  Thw lower cost didn't attract more members,  it just ended up affecting the bottom line.  That's my guess.