Checking in a decade later

Yeah, no more "songs", the corps that won played Moon river, corps that got second "What a wonderful world", and the corps that got 3rd played one of the most popular songs of the last decade. I much prefer corps to expose me to NEW music, rather than be marching band karaoke of the same old songs. Do we REALLY need another marching band cover of "sounds of silence"? I actually think corps are playing more "current"' music than anytime since about the 70s, but it's maybe music the older folks aren't familiar with. Heck, Madison is playing some tunes made popular by tick tock.

Edited by MGCpimpOtimp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Yeah, no more "songs", the corps that won played Moon river, corps that got second "What a wonderful world", and the corps that got 3rd played one of the most popular songs of the last decade. I much prefer corps to expose me to NEW music, rather than be marching band karaoke of the same old songs. Do we REALLY need another marching band cover of "sounds of silence"? I actually think corps are playing more "current"' music than anytime since about the 70s, but it's maybe music the older folks aren't familiar with. Heck, Madison is playing some tunes made popular by tick tock.

and SCV is totally NOT playing any Nirvana music in their Nirvana show

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My issue isn't so much repertoires as the uneven weighting of music and visual for scoring and the things that currently get rewarded in the music captions. Just the way DCI is and will likely continue to lean more into.  No right or wrong here, just personal preference.  

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

My issue isn't so much repertoires as the uneven weighting of music and visual for scoring and the things that currently get rewarded in the music captions. Just the way DCI is and will likely continue to lean more into.  No right or wrong here, just personal preference.  

Remember. 60% of the score is earned at the design desk in October. 20 more figuring things out and choreography during move in, 10 more is what’s added in fluff and changes over the season, and the last ten, is what the performers do.  They’re just a medium for what came out of the designers laptop. 

Think of it this way. a 20 in “achievement” will never be given for a show deemed to be content of 15.  But it’s all fancy jargon to disguise that it’s not about what the members actually do. Only what they are the cog of. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Cavaliers not playing Harry Styles! 

• Thanks 1

drumcat -

Welcome back!  I remember reading your opinions years ago.

I am absolutely an older vintage participant and fan. It’s a condition we both can’t control. Your views on the ‘marketability” of contemporary drum corps performance mirror my own in several ways.  I am particularly grateful to read such a thoughtful, well-structured contribution for us to consider.

Truth be told, I think drum corps at the elite level has changed too much, and changed too quickly. There is no doubt the performer talent level has never been higher. Today’s performers are tasked with so much more to do out there, and they’ve met the challenge impressively. Yes, the lack of melodic flow troubles me, too. More work needed there, for sure.

In the near future, I believe, the pressure to expand the product into even more levels of sensory influence for the audience will result in the whole experience being moved into a large “arena act “  of sorts. Maybe, two touring companies for some organizations, just one for others. The possibilities are endless for designers. What with stage spotlighting moments, video screens, laser beams, smoke, simulated rain, etc., Best of all, two performances per day under no weather threats to mess up the whole thing.

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around this season’s Bluecoats performance. I find Bluecoats to be the year’s most intriguing corps. They hold my attention in a vastly different, but good way. I don’t think they will make their way into First Place for 2022, but do see Bluecoats as some kind of precursor to what’s ahead for audiences.  Maybe, that’s it.  A watershed moment taking place.

To me, if my indoor arena prediction ever comes true, the show’s performances will most resemble what Bluecoats offer now, but with all the “bells and whistles” their budget allows going forward. In other words, DCI will move even further away from the brass and percussion and other traditions I once expected.

This is a different world in many ways. I get that. My curiosity of where it leads drum corps during my remaining years will never end. I’m certain I’ll still find much to like about all this. I’m just not sure what it will be. That’s for others to decide . . .  as it should be.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 4