Before you get out your torches and pitchforks...

Hear me out. I know most of you don't like synth and narration in DCI. And I respect that opinion. I'm not shaming anyone who has that opinion. But I want you to hear me out.

I played synth in a high school band, and I can say from experience that it is harder than it looks. It's not just "press a button, make a sound". It's not just chords. We have to learn music equally as complicated as a marimba or vibraphone. We have to remember by heart exactly when to change the sound. We have to press the keys with a precise amount of force to achieve a desired velocity. We have to push that cart up and down to the football field, remember how each little piece of the larger system works, and set up all the equipment ourselves. And if we make mistakes, it shows. We have to work ever so carefully to make sure we never set off a sound until the exact moment it's called for. If one little button isn't switched on, it can ruin the whole show.

So please, the next time you say that synth players aren't really part of a corps, keep this in mind. We are under just as much pressure as any other member of the band. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

I think there’s just a very vocal get-off-my-lawn minority here who are completely against synth and narration (and other additions of the past decades). I’d wager that most people are pretty much fine with these things in general but find certain implementations to be problematic for other reasons. 

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Presenting their 2023 program Torches and Pitchforks, DCI is proud to present... The Blue Devils

First of a 2 part series to be followed with 2024 "Get Off Our Lawn"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well I myself push buttons as well.  My wife hates that...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

First of a 2 part series to be followed with 2024 "Get Off Our Lawn"

Narration by Clint Eastwood 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just to clarify, nobody thinks that playing the clarinet is easy.  The root of the concern is with preserving the brass and percussion ensemble idiom... like preserving string chamber orchestra, brass quintet or barbershop as strictly defined orchestrations.

I'm not in that camp so much... but I appreciate the concern that those folks have and recognize that it's not without merit.  Every type of ensemble and genre has its snobbery, and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3