Before you get out your torches and pitchforks...

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

I consider this the last "legitimate" drum corps performance; everything since is just band.

I'm glad that you chose the "multi-cam" stream. 

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You’d need a ouija board to find people who marched in the 20’s. Lol 

true. but in the 70's i remember folks that marched in the 40's complaining.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

DH is not real baseball. 😛  Personally if a pitcher cannot hit vs one that can...rounds the skills out a bit.

MLB disagrees. after all they wear protective gear when batting now.

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes, I am a dinosaur, but the raw, perhaps a bit out-of-tune, power of G bugles is what I love about 1970s Drum Corps.  

btw - have you ever heard Argonne Rebels w Sandra Opie as brass caption head?  They were in tune.   

yes i have heard them. i have heard a ton of 70's corps, thru the end of G bugles. many great ones were in tune. many were just loud for the sake of being loud, intonation be ######.

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

MLB disagrees. after all they wear protective gear when batting now.

Protective gear is NOT batting.  DH changes the worth of a pitcher.

That's the era my father marched in a small corps in Indiana. His year was 1956 actually.  One of his favorite stories is that he had a cowbell solo that opened Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White.   The judges would fight it every show trying to DQ the corps for it and their director would throw the rulebook down and say, "Show me where we can't!"  

He remembers a few times where a judge would get right in front of him literally screaming at him< "WHAT IS THAT? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"  His director said, "just play on like they're not there."  

He loves telling me those stories every summer when we watch drum corps together and I still love hearing them. 

I'm gonna send him this link. He'll love it.

EDIT TO UPDATE:

Yup he loved it.  I asked him "what do you think the crowds and judges would have made of that drill?"  Basically, "Some would really like it.  I do.  But there'd be the old American Legion guys who would melt down over it."  

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

P.S. he loves modern corps.  He's always saying, "Who thinks this stuff up?"

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

true. but in the 70's i remember folks that marched in the 40's complaining.

Fact Check.................TRUE!

At the VFW Hall in my first corps, the guys (drunks) complained about "broads in the color guard" and "dirty hippy music." 

On 7/25/2022 at 7:41 PM, Lance said:

i'm rooting for every performer every time.  glad you love playing synth.  

my only problem with all of A&E is how synth instrument performance and thunderous goo gaffes are judged.   a synth blaring over the speakers with a bunch of missed notes and phashing issues with rest of the ensemble has a huge impact on a show, as does a long "whooooommshushuuuuuuushuuuu BEEEP" from a speaker. people bring up that it "must" impact such and such caption/subcaption pretty often on here, but nobody actually knows.  intentionally and conveniently nebulous.  

95% of all electronics comments on judges tapes are negative comments about the balance. Drum corps and marching band.