Before you get out your torches and pitchforks...

13 minutes ago, brassboy said:

First corps to do a show filled with Samuel L Jackson narration gets all my donations. 

https://www.soundboard.com/sb/samuel

Edited by Mello Dude

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I helped pay the tour fees for a synth player one season so I guess this old boomer isn’t anti-synth. 

And I have a story.  When I told a younger person who marched in the 2000’s that I paid some of this person’s fees, they said that they wished all they had to do when they marched was “push a button”.  That’s why ageist characterizations are wrong. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Literally nobody says they aren't part of the corps. They say they don't want synth when they have contras.

This is where I tend to agree.  I have written shows with synth and am not opposed to the instrument itself on the field.  It is the application. In fact, a Billy Joel show that I designed put an active piano/synth in the marching area of the field as the feature.

Shortly after synths were introduced to drum corps, we had "The Thundering Goo" emanate from said synths. Thankfully, most of that has been reduced.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

Just now, Old Corps Guy said:

This is where I tend to agree.  I have written shows with synth and am not opposed to the instrument itself on the field.  It is the application.

Shortly after synths were introduced to drum corps, we had "The Thundering Goo" emanate from said synths. Thankfully, most of that has been reduced.

It was deafening thunderous goo when they first started using them.  Cavaliers were one of the worst offenders.  It was so loud it hurt and I covered my ears.  It’s much better now.

• Like 2

Everything in moderation. 

Trooper's electronic cello for example. Just enough impact without being a distraction. 

• Like 1