Before you get out your torches and pitchforks...

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

First corps to do a show filled with Samuel L Jackson narration gets all my donations. 

Sam Elliot would be good too.  Maybe a Big Lebowski show?

And it occurs to me that Samuel L Jackson would be great for a Pulp Fiction show (imagine Crown’s brass playing Miserlou) 

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

(imagine Crown’s brass playing Miserlou) 

A short, off-topic remembrance diversion of 1971 De La Salle Oaklands, who also played Channel One Suite that year. 

5 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Hear me out. I know most of you don't like synth and narration in DCI. And I respect that opinion. I'm not shaming anyone who has that opinion. But I want you to hear me out.

I played synth in a high school band, and I can say from experience that it is harder than it looks. It's not just "press a button, make a sound". It's not just chords. We have to learn music equally as complicated as a marimba or vibraphone. We have to remember by heart exactly when to change the sound. We have to press the keys with a precise amount of force to achieve a desired velocity. We have to push that cart up and down to the football field, remember how each little piece of the larger system works, and set up all the equipment ourselves. And if we make mistakes, it shows. We have to work ever so carefully to make sure we never set off a sound until the exact moment it's called for. If one little button isn't switched on, it can ruin the whole show.

So please, the next time you say that synth players aren't really part of a corps, keep this in mind. We are under just as much pressure as any other member of the band. 

agreed. now most criticism is aimed at the design staff and less the kids, but i can see how those comments could be viewed that way

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

First of a 2 part series to be followed with 2024 "Get Off Our Lawn"

it's a trilogy concluded "moving and playing if we want" 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Edited by Old Corps Guy

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's a trilogy concluded "moving and playing if we want" 

I thought it would be titled "Cath Me If You Can" with narration by Tom Hanks.

I know y'all are joking about a show called "Get Off My Lawn", but imagine a corps actually doing a show solely meant to call out toxic DCI fans. I think it would be a great meta concept, and whatever corps does it would go down in DCI history.

Hey, I am trying to teach myself how to write drum corps style music... writes it down in infinite notebook labelled "Half-Baked Show Ideas"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I know y'all are joking about a show called "Get Off My Lawn", but imagine a corps actually doing a show solely meant to call out toxic DCI fans. I think it would be a great meta concept, and whatever corps does it would go down in DCI history.

Hey, I am trying to teach myself how to write drum corps style music... writes it down in infinite notebook labelled "Half-Baked Show Ideas"

Crown could do it as sort of a part 2 from this year's show, but call it "Over There, Tomorrow."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I play euphonium, but there are barely ANY euphonium parts written for orchestra. When there ARE parts written, the euph is sorta a featured instrument picked up by a trombone player or a tuba player...

There are trombones, trumpets, cornets, french horns, and many other brass instruments there, but ala, no euphoniums, flugel horns, alto horns, or even mellophones there.

So, I have to perform in merry tuba christmas, sousa marches, solo gigs, and brass bands... 

Heck, even my college instructors for euphonium were tuba players and trombone players.

I couldn't even get a euph players to teach me euph. I practiced as much as those other players, and worked just as hard, but I still can't work for an orchestra.

Of course, I understand that orchestras are going for a particular sound, and composers haven't written much music for my instrument, but darn it, I wanna be in an orchestra.  I don't care...  I also think we should let banjos into the orchestra. I don't care if it changes the orchestra sound. Whatever, they work hard.  Add in a harmonic and kazoo too. Let's all join the orchestra.  Heck, lets add some cow bell into a Violin quartet. Everyone needs a good cow bell....

Anyway, the point is when you change the sound of a musical ensemble by adding different instruments, it changes the type of ensemble you're in and you've loss some uniqueness...  In my story, we've changed an orchestra into a concert band.

Keep changing the instrumentation in drum corps, and it's just summer marching band. Something cool, but certainly less unique than before.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1