Before you get out your torches and pitchforks...

3 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

It’s not gatekeeping, it’s keeping the integrity of the activity. You don’t see nascars and Indy cars driving around the track together. You don’t see stick and ball sports changing their rules to accommodate athletes of other sports. 

if you want to be in band, be in band. If you want to march drum corps, march drum corps. 

sports change rules all the time. look at baseball...full time DH now all the time. interleague play all season. constantly tinkering with stuff.

if you want to make the integrity of the activity hill to die on, go ask the folks marching in the 20's and 30's what they thought in the 60's or 70's?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Some of us like the sound of 1975 Madison or 1976 BD.  

i did then and still like to listen to it. i like the sounds now.

oh and in the 70's i heard lots of sounds i didn't like...and i feel the same way about sounds now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I don't have a problem with any instrumentation being in marching band, but for drum and bugle corps, I want brass and percussion. I've given to be tolerant of concert brass instruments being added, but further changing the fundamental sound of drumcorps changes it into professional summer marching band. That's a different animal. That means that we've loss uniqueness in the marching activity.  Pretty soon DCI will morph into something that will likely fade away forever...

I appreciate James Logan, Ayala, Murrieta, Arcadia, Avon, Carmel, Vandergrift, Tarpon Springs, USC, OSU, Oregon, Texas, Stanford, MSU, and all the marching bands, but they're in different parts of the marching band community. Even many of those marching bands have instrumentation restrictions in their ensembles.

Anyway, it's not directed to our wonderful synth players, I'd be ok with having groups in an all instrument marching band class, but there's still so much territory that could have been creatively explored within the previous instrumentation limits, especially once the instruments could play all the notes.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, and feel free to join your favorite "corps" / "band". If it is high quality, there will be some kind of audience, I imagine, but people are going to be turned off by synths, strings, and woodwinds in DCI.  Some will be nice about it, others will just go away, and others will be down right rude. It's just human nature.

well the genie is out of the bottle, and as drum corps has proven time and time again, no complaining online will ever change it back.

at least without a certified check of 10 digits before the decimal point sent to them to entice them to change it

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TenHut said:

With due respect, you are not under the same pressure as you are playing your instrument alone and not trying to execute your charts with others. Kind of like if 1 solo snare drummer claimed he was under the same pressure as a 9 Man snare line. No, you aren't. 

SCV 15 keyboardist might disagree.

• Thanks 1

Just now, 3PoC said:

SCV 15 keyboardist might disagree.

Man I felt for that kid.  That happened twice that season and that one of them was finals night... The kid just froze under the pressure after being just nails on that so many times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

sports change rules all the time. look at baseball...full time DH now all the time. interleague play all season. constantly tinkering with stuff.

if you want to make the integrity of the activity hill to die on, go ask the folks marching in the 20's and 30's what they thought in the 60's or 70's?

You’d need a ouija board to find people who marched in the 20’s. Lol 

• Haha 1

Great ensembles, whether they are orchestras, bands or drum corps, display top notch control of ensemble blend, balance, intonation and precision (basic variables). Personally, I don't mind synth sound in DCI provided that the inclusion does not obscure, overwhelm or corrupt the ensemble musical elements I listed. That Keytar with BC is a very cool addition to that show, without, IMHO, detracting from the Coats' awesome ensemble sound.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DH is not real baseball. 😛  Personally if a pitcher cannot hit vs one that can...rounds the skills out a bit.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no it'd be more in tune

Yes, I am a dinosaur, but the raw, perhaps a bit out-of-tune, power of G bugles is what I love about 1970s Drum Corps.  

btw - have you ever heard Argonne Rebels w Sandra Opie as brass caption head?  They were in tune.