Monday July 25 ... “DCI Mesquite” … Mesquite Memorial Stadium Mesquite, TEXAS

4 hours ago, JohnDF said:

Don't know why "he's" out, but I do know that they were dealing with a stomach flu (not COVID) issue earlier in the season.

That's the typical Tour ailment. Sadly, it hasn't gone away just because there's COVID. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lawdn said:

I’ve seen others say that percussion judges are the most likely to be unafraid to call a show by scoring them like they hear/see them. 

Historically this has proved true. Unlike the guard or visual judges who are often (apparently) swayed by whatever or whoever they like, personally, the Perc judging community has a well-deserved reputation for being straight shooters - you earn a number, you'll get a number. You don't, you won't. 

• Like 1

Percussion scores for Mandarins has been a problem since their 1st appearance at finals.  In 2019 they ranked 13th in drums at prelims and were beaten by the Colts who despite placing 16th overall, had a 12th place showing in drums.  I don't think the judges are the problem here.

Edited by bluesman
spelling

8 minutes ago, bluesman said:

Percussion scores for Mandarins has been a problem since their 1st appearance at finals.  In 2019 they ranked 13th in drums at prelims and were beaten by the Colts who despite placing 16th overall, had a 12th place showing in drums.  I don't think the judges are the problem here.

Yes, but after 2019 the Mandarins hired an entirely new percussion staff. If you look at their scores this year, percussion hasn't been nearly as problematic as it was in 2018 and 2019. Their percussion has been placing around their overall placement in general. Last night's low placement was a bit of an outlier, but the fact that Mandarins were missing their drum set player may have contributed to a weaker performance.

• Like 1