Hating corps?

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Some people are very loose with their language and don't mean what they say in a literal sense, but some end up interpreting it that way. Hate obviously is a strong term to use.

Good point. A lot of people are very sloppy with the language, and it's been going on for centuries.

Maybe here on DCP we can improve things just a little by writing more precisely and stopping use of "hate" and "haters" to describe everything we don't particularly care for.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's the same thing as someone saying they hate the Dallas Cowboys. They don't hate them, they just dislike their team losing. 

As a diehard San Francisco 49ers fan, I don't have a problem with the Dallas Cowboys players themselves........................................it's their delusional fanbase who swear they are winning the SB every year I have the problem with lol. 

Last time the cowboys were relevant in winning, Microsoft was launching Windows 95........................in 1995. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

As a diehard San Francisco 49ers fan, I don't have a problem with the Dallas Cowboys players themselves........................................it's their delusional fanbase who swear they are winning the SB every year I have the problem with lol. 

Last time the cowboys were relevant in winning, Microsoft was launching Windows 95........................in 1995. 

“HEY DALLAS, THE LAST TIME YOU WERE IN THE SUPER BOWL, THESE DRAFT PICKS WEREN’T BORN”

- David Akers, master of roasts

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Sort of like Eagles fans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47ub02nujv6uswplbblx

Thems fighin' words!

JK, we're groomed to be obnoxious. It's just, some of us know it and can laugh at ourselves about it.

I completely support your entire comment.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Logan Dingus said:

“HEY DALLAS, THE LAST TIME YOU WERE IN THE SUPER BOWL, THESE DRAFT PICKS WEREN’T BORN”

- David Akers, master of roasts

If you havent seen it, YouTube Stephen A Smith from ESPNs First Take, laughing at Cowboys fans crying after my Niners beat them in playoffs last season. Funniest video on the internet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First of all, the “hatred” of today is different from back in the day, and my reference would be mid to late 70’s to early 80’s. The rivalries were heated to put it mildly. After CYO Nationals and World Open, kids who marched in the bands, drum corps, and drill teams that competed in local Massachusetts circuits (CYO, Eastern MA, Mayflower) would proudly wear drum corps t-shirts purchased at the shows. While not forbidden, many groups told members not to wear 27th Lancers and Bridgemen t-shirts after competing because it caused problems, anything from name calling, fights, and having the t-shirt torn off the wearer. There were no issues with Madison, Blue Devils, Phantom, etc. There were also times police had to get involved with scuffles involving rival corps and their fans. 

I think the hatred is different today. Back in the day would have been rivalries that get out of hand, jealousy, and turf issues. Today it’s just, for lack of a better word, ignorance. Blue Devils has fielded shows I do not care for (though they have also created memorable moments too), but I’ve still managed to function in the world. If Carolina Crown is no longer to your liking, is spewing venom necessary? Will the world really come to an end if Boston Crusaders make the top three?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

Good point. A lot of people are very sloppy with the language, and it's been going on for centuries.

Maybe here on DCP we can improve things just a little by writing more precisely and stopping use of "hate" and "haters" to describe everything we don't particularly care for.

I've seen users on DCP call brass lines disgusting and hideous or mock corps when electronics don't work cuz they "hate" them so much... grown men... describing the performances of these hard working kids who love what they do, and are dedicating their summer to entertain us and build lifelong memories... as disgusting and hideous.

Yeah, we have vile human beings on here like that.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 1