AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The first response when addressing a survivor should probably be I'm sorry you went through that. Just in case you encounter one of us again the future. Skipping past our disclosure contributes to our silencing.

That said, no one here has the individual power to make change. A letter or even a few letters won't cut it.

That's why people are in dialogue (hopefully as respectfully as possible), and suggesting collective action. Neither of those are possible if we don't address it at all.

If you said you are a survivor and I missed it then Yes I am sorry ANYONE had to go through any of it at the hands of a monster. I know a few here that have been through this horrific situation. With that said, I believe feeding a person like this is what they want and giving them what they want only makes them relevant in their own twisterd mind.

I do think you are right about what could be done or IF anything here or a letter would do anything. 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Do we know which organization gave him the VIP pass?

The VIP pass was mentioned in the San Antonio thread & I don't have any info or knowledge of one being granted.  My opinion is that would be "hearsay", but the commenter might shed some light.  

From their comment, they may have been informed by someone that was at the event?  We also have a picture of the subject in attendance inside the Alamodome venue.  The subject also posted selfies at the venue as well as video segments of the performing corps on July 21st.  (So he actually broke the DCI video rule.)    

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

Just now, GUARDLING said:

If you said you are a survivor and I missed it then Yes I am sorry ANYONE had to go through any of it at the hands of a monster. I know a few here that have been through this horrific situation.

I apologize for making an example of you, GUARDLING.

Just now, GUARDLING said:

With that said, I believe feeding a person like this is what they want and giving them what they want only makes the relevant in their own twisterd mind.

I don't give a hoot what happens in his or any other narcissist's mind... or if he reads this. He's been relatively dis-empowered in the activity, for now, and those of us that are survivors of any abuse in the activity might get a little twitchy when things get brought up. We get twitchy not only because it's triggering, but because we know that if we keep silent it will only fester inside of us. And I don't mean metaphorically fester, I mean literally. I've been recovering from my time with drum corps for 20 years. It's affected every moment of my life since then. So... minimally, you can't expect us to stay silent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I apologize for making an example of you, GUARDLING.

I don't give a hoot what happens in his or any other narcissist's mind... or if he reads this. He's been relatively dis-empowered in the activity, for now, and those of us that are survivors of any abuse in the activity might get a little twitchy when things get brought up. We get twitchy not only because it's triggering, but because we know that if we keep silent it will only fester inside of us. And I don't mean metaphorically fester, I mean literally. I've been recovering from my time with drum corps for 20 years. It's affected every moment of my life since then. So... minimally, you can't expect us to stay silent.

No apology necessary, I do understand how horrific a person like this  surfacing again and how it would stir up rightful anger.

• Thanks 1

You're right Jonathan.  I'm not even focused on HoHo (Horrific Hopkins) so much as the issue, which has much more depth than just him.  We can't just move on, we have to keep shining a light on abusers allowed to participate on staffs or lead corps.  It's part of creating impetus on the activity to do better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Stop focusing on this guy. Will we remember? Absolutely. Should we keep dwelling on it every time he pokes his face into a show or makes comments on social media? Heck NO! Who gives a flying squirrel what this guy does!!! 

I cannot tell you how dangerous this is. Thank goodness for people who are at least writing MAASIN and DCI about it.

The exposure of abusers can be like attacking a hydra. You can't just point to one, kind of fix the problem and then move on.

There. Are. Others. Just. Like. Him.

You can't build a better activity if you aren't even able to address the actual barriers to that betterment.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Ok, so the initial question is how is he able to attend a DCI show? 

• For starters it is simple: he is a free man under constitutional law. He may be on some sort of probation, I am not sure, and if he is I am not sure what those terms are.
  • I get the sentiment of wanting to erase everything about this person, but the law does not work that way. Many on here are very emotional about this person and what he did, and you should be. I am too. And look at the damage it did. But the legal system is clear. He is a free man. He can live his life. He has a right to work and feed himself. He has a right to see shows, go to restaurants, see movies, go hiking, post on websites or social media, etc. And if you infringe on his rights you will be the one going to jail. You don't have to like it, but that's the law. 
  • This seems unfair but the legal system tried to get him. They did their best. In the end most of the cases were so old it amounted to "he said vs she said" kind of stuff and so they had to focus on the most recent accusations. The world is not perfect. 
  • If DCI wishes to ban him they can certainly try. They may get a law suit thrown back at them unless there is some sort of court order that GH can no longer be around kids, or at least kids in the activity. But without such a court order good luck.
  • DCI would first have to hire lawyers to apply for such a restriction, argue their point, and hope they get a restraining order that would allow them to ban him. It might be difficult. With his daughter teaching he, as the father, has a right to see his kid. 

We do not have to like any of this, but the law is clear. His trial is over. I am not sure what other conditions he may be under in terms of parole, if he has any, but I will leave that up to the law. 

The best thing for DCI, fans of DCI, and the members marching DCI is for us to move on and build a better activity. Stop focusing on this guy. Will we remember? Absolutely. Should we keep dwelling on it every time he pokes his face into a show or makes comments on social media? Heck NO! Who gives a flying squirrel what this guy does!!! 

If you read the article, he is serving a two year probation & was assigned a parol officer.  If it's completed, then he probably didn't have to have permission to travel out of state.  If he's still under the probation, then I would think he had to check in & receive permission to travel to visit his daughter.  (No issue with visiting his daughter.)  The judge even instructed the parol officer to require "sex offender therapy" if he deemed it necessary.  If he breaks his parol, then he would be sent to state prison. 

I agree that it might be a difficult process for DCI to ban him from their events, but if it's considered a private event, then I think DCI would be in their rights  to obtain a restraining order.  I know in education, it's not hard to have a disorderly parent banned from our school property.  

I am simply speculating.  I'm not an attorney, but in my experience over the years I've seen similar situations.  But I think letters or emails to the DCI office would be a great start.  I really have zero experience with the online petitions.       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

There. Are. Others. Just. Like. Him.

Yes, there are, so we have to keep our eyes open for those people. GH is not going to direct or work for a drum corps ever again. I am quite confident that DCI would not let that happen. Can he attend a show? I guess so...for now, but that may change. I personally hope it does change. All I am pointing out right now is that the LAW is the LAW. I will never forget what he did, but I am moving on to building a better activity. Part of BUILDING that better activity means working for better protections for the members, staff, and management; and it means continually keeping our eyes open for those who commit these crimes. 

• Like 3