AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

So if the buck doesn't stop with DCI (I don't agree on this point), then it stops with the corps themselves? Just trying to pull us back from throwing our hands up.

I don't encourage harassment. To be clear, I said I'm glad I'm not going so I don't get myself in trouble because I very likely would. My own family said in response to my abuse, that it's a good thing they didn't know about it at the time because they would've gotten themselves in trouble by confronting my abusers. Same story. I know when to and how to control myself and I encourage others to do the same.

He's broken rules. He's filmed shows and posted them online, he's broken his probation, and he's attended an event after DCI explicitly told him he'd be trespassing if he did so. These are facts. If nothing else, he can be held accountable for these things, right?

Throwing our hands up is not an option. He is "causing issues" for current DCI member corps when he shows up according to their own words.

Permitting an abuser back into the community while gatekeeping people like me who have worked our whole careers to safeguard minors and young people from predators like GH is sick.

Respectfully, I'm not suggesting to throw the hands up. I'm pointing out the fine line that exists for DCI in control of the Corps. So maybe the solution is to go to the individual Corps. 

Also, other than the tweets you have shared, I haven't seen the letter DCI sent. I can't know if it said for him to stop attending events. Also, I haven't seen any corps complain of him causing issues. 

And lastly, we really want to throw our hands up at "filming show and posting them online"? Half the stands would be empty if we banned every person that has done that. 

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Right. So on a new beat. Still doing meaningful work, but out of the drum corps scene for now.

So glad she's working on that. She's needed. But her hands are probably full. Still worth it to reach out, I suppose.

I guess what I wasn't making clear is that I would consider this to still be "on the beat." It is the same issues within adjacent, competitive, non-profit youth orgs. She is still open to taking information. The way in which it is covered by USA Today would be different than local Philly Inquirer (her previous employer) or a local Allentown news outlet (Jacci). But if she was ever to get enough to move forward with a large-scale, national piece, she and USA Today would do it. And we all know that she is sitting on more information that only needs a few people to officially to go on the record with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Respectfully, I'm not suggesting to throw the hands up. I'm pointing out the fine line that exists for DCI in control of the Corps. So maybe the solution is to go to the individual Corps. 

That's fair.

Also, other than the tweets you have shared, I haven't seen the letter DCI sent. I can't know if it said for him to stop attending events. Also, I haven't seen any corps complain of him causing issues. 

The tweets (I didn't post them) mention DCI saying that he was "causing issues" for member corps. The reporter who tweeted that has asked for clarification from DCI.

Of course the corps won't say anything. Some of them may have been the victims of these issues. While I think they should, there's a whole mess that goes along with that organizationally.

And lastly, we really want to throw our hands up at "filming show and posting them online"? Half the stands would be empty if we banned every person that has done that. 

You do know how kingpins are often caught right? Because they were stupid enough to break the law in smaller ways than they're known for and then they're brought under control for those "minor" trespasses. If you can't get 'em on the big stuff, get 'em on the small stuff. You have to start somewhere.

Don't ban others. Just ban the jerk that raped minors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mingusmonk said:

I guess what I wasn't making clear is that I would consider this to still be "on the beat." It is the same issues within adjacent, competitive, non-profit youth orgs. She is still open to taking information. The way in which it is covered by USA Today would be different than local Philly Inquirer (her previous employer) or a local Allentown news outlet (Jacci). But if she was ever to get enough to move forward with a large-scale, national piece, she and USA Today would do it. And we all know that she is sitting on more information that only needs a few people to officially to go on the record with.

Right on. I'm all for it.

I've tried. Anyone else who's not an exhausted survivor want to take this up?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

That's fair.

The tweets (I didn't post them) mention DCI saying that he was "causing issues" for member corps. The reporter who tweeted that has asked for clarification from DCI.

Of course the corps won't say anything. Some of them may have been the victims of these issues. While I think they should, there's a whole mess that goes along with that organizationally.

You do know how kingpins are often caught right? Because they were stupid enough to break the law in smaller ways than they're known for and then they're brought under control for those "minor" trespasses. If you can't get 'em on the big stuff, get 'em on the small stuff. You have to start somewhere.

Don't ban others. Just ban the jerk that raped minors.

I'm just saying I'm not going to speculate until I see some evidence on this letter or corps complaining of issues. Honestly, if the reporter is direct quoting DCI I would suggest it's a poorly worded response from them. From what I've seen first hand he visited his daughter and was in the lot for one drumline and then was in the stands. ***EDIT** I do see the tweet from the reporter stating the attorney confirmed the letter, but that they are letting it go.

I just truly don't think the recording and posting online is the way to go. It would open a rabbit hole in the activity that I don't truly think is a big deal. (Not saying he isn't a big deal just the overall act of recording a show and posting it since soooo many people do)

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows

2 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I'm just saying I'm not going to speculate until I see some evidence on this letter or corps complaining of issues.

DCI has said it. They said he "caused issues." I'm not sure what else you need.

Honestly, if the reporter is direct quoting DCI I would suggest it's a poorly worded response from them. From what I've seen first hand he visited his daughter and was in the lot for one drumline and then was in the stands. 

All of their responses are poorly worded and reactive. Weknowdis.

I would be enraged to find out this was my corps. This monster close to MY FELLOW FUTURE FELLOW ALUM? Unacceptable. Entirely unacceptable no matter which corps it was.

I just truly don't think the recording and posting online is the way to go. It would open a rabbit hole in the activity that I don't truly think is a big deal. (Not saying he isn't a big deal just the overall act of recording a show and posting it since soooo many people do)

That's fine. I'm exploring all angles. No stone unturned.

38 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You must be the only person here who hasn’t gotten the DCI letter to you know who. 

The Allentown reporter said they reached out to his attorney who confirmed a communication was sent and said they don’t feel dci can enforce it.

legally they may be right, I don’t know

• Like 1