AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

Hey folks, dropping this in this thread instead of the Fri Allentown one because I truly don't want to draw more attention to there.

If I ever seem impatient (or when I HULK OUT) about the status quo of fans in this community valuing relatively little things over the big issues...

...it's because since I came forward with my story in April I have come to know the stories of 12 survivors and 1 deceased person whose abuse, neglect, or harassment happened in drum corps spanning the last 40 years. I marched with at least 6 of them and remain in contact with about just as many. At least 3 of them told me they know more than one other person who was treated worse. Several of them will no longer return my contact because unearthing these stories (and seeing so little response from the community) triggers them deeply. One has literally said to me see, this is why I can't do this!

I do my best to contain my frustration and pent up anger about it, but sometimes, when I watch even the most beautiful performances by these amazing MMs who have resurrected the activity we love... I still see harmful choreographic choices that should have been remedied in the time between when I marched and now. And that's just what I see on the field using my training and expertise in artistic process.

Again, it just so happens that I can't point at a top 5 corps that hasn't hired (1) one of my abusers, (2) a staffer who enabled abuse, or (3) staffers or MMs (at the time) who witnessed abuse and have said nothing about it... except at the BAC, of course. All of these issues are connected and it all comes down to power and control (something @Jeff Ream mentioned as deeply problematic a few pages back.)

I won't apologize for my outbursts. As a survivor, I can't always control them.

I will apologize that I'm clearly not yet describing my stance in a way that is striking enough, digestible, or understandable for this community. This is truly my goal. But seeing as there have been so few survivors willing to step forward staking their names and reputations, I hope I can be forgiven for not knowing how to do this well yet.

I'm taking a break for the rest of the season from DCP at my loved ones' request. I hope to enjoy finals on Flo away from community.

If anyone would like to contact me, they're welcome to inbox me here on DCP or email me at scvmercy at proton dot me. ProtonMail is an encrypted email service and I do not share anyone's story without explicit consent.

My best wishes to you all and BRING IT OHM SANTA CLARA!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Hey folks, dropping this in this thread instead of the Fri Allentown one because I truly don't want to draw more attention to there.

If I ever seem impatient (or when I HULK OUT) about the status quo of fans in this community valuing relatively little things over the big issues...

...it's because since I came forward with my story in April I have come to know the stories of 12 survivors and 1 deceased person whose abuse, neglect, or harassment happened in drum corps spanning the last 40 years. I marched with at least 6 of them and remain in contact with about just as many. At least 3 of them told me they know more than one other person who was treated worse. Several of them will no longer return my contact because unearthing these stories (and seeing so little response from the community) triggers them deeply. One has literally said to me see, this is why I can't do this!

I do my best to contain my frustration and pent up anger about it, but sometimes, when I watch even the most beautiful performances by these amazing MMs who have resurrected the activity we love... I still see harmful choreographic choices that should have been remedied in the time between when I marched and now. And that's just what I see on the field using my training and expertise in artistic process.

Again, it just so happens that I can't point at a top 5 corps that hasn't hired (1) one of my abusers, (2) a staffer who enabled abuse, or (3) staffers or MMs (at the time) who witnessed abuse and have said nothing about it... except at the BAC, of course. All of these issues are connected and it all comes down to power and control (something @Jeff Ream mentioned as deeply problematic a few pages back.)

I will apologize that I'm clearly not yet describing my stance in a way that is striking enough, digestible, or understandable for this community. This is truly my goal. But seeing as there have been so few survivors willing to step forward staking their names and reputations, I hope I can be forgiven for not knowing how to do this well yet.

I'm taking a break for the rest of the season from DCP at my loved ones' request. I hope to enjoy finals on Flo away from community.

If anyone would like to contact me, they're welcome to inbox me here on DCP or email me at scvmercy at proton dot me. ProtonMail is an encrypted email service and I do not share anyone's story without explicit consent.

Take care of yourself 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Stay strong. 💪 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

and nothing wrong with a break; I need one as well.  Peace...

On 8/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

It's always been a question I have asked since the GH issue, Who knew what when AND just because one says they knew nothing I wonder about that. A narcissist doesn't hide their deeds well, especially for decades without people knowing. The narcissist doesnlt thin k they are ever in the wrong and entitled. I wouldnl't count anyone out. It's also the issue with some of those who kissed the ring for decades but when weren't useful to the narcissist, only then they exposed them ( I'm not talking about the victims ) There were many in  or around these situations for a very loing time.

It's like people who rightfully complain about certain politicians who clearly showed who they were all along. 

All the best

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but we have a Judicial system in this country that exist to prosecute people who violate our laws as he clearly did. His actions have caused lasting harm to his victims and to this activity.  Many, including myself would have liked to have seen him do some serious jail time, but his punishment was set by the courts.  If the idea is to ban this person from ever attending another show, are we also going to ignore his contributions to the evolution of the drum corps?

10 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but we have a Judicial system in this country that exist to prosecute people who violate our laws as he clearly did. His actions have caused lasting harm to his victims and to this activity.  Many, including myself would have liked to have seen him do some serious jail time, but his punishment was set by the courts.  If the idea is to ban this person from ever attending another show, are we also going to ignore his contributions to the evolution of the drum corps?

Yes, absolutely ignore his contributions and never bring him up in relation to this activity again. His evils vastly outweigh anything positive he did for drum corps. Blot his name from everything drum corps related. He should be known as a rapist, not as a drum corps director.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Keep positive, enjoy & message one of us if you've just GOT to vent about something - enjoy the shows, so much work goes into each of them, hopefully all the members and staff leave Indy with happy & comforting memories! G.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, bluesman said:

If the idea is to ban this person from ever attending another show, are we also going to ignore his contributions to the evolution of the drum corps?

Yes, absolutely!  Persona-non-grata.  It's not possible to compartmentalize.  He deeply harmed members of the activity and he should be 86'd for it and not be given another thought.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, bluesman said:

Good points.

Perhaps if nothing else we can learn from this.  Next time someone is in court for inappropriate behavior DCI (or interested parties) could file something along the lines of an 'Amicus Brief' with the court, asking for a lifetime ban from the activity - no teaching / consulting / live attendance at shows.  If the perp wants to see a show, he can subscribe to Flo.  We would need legal advice on how to word the Amicus Brief; but there are attorneys on DCP - we may be able to do this cheap - it doesn't need to be 150 pages of legalese (I don't believe anyway)

• Like 3