AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This isn't transparent enough to garner the trust of families and MMs who pour money and their lives into this industry. While a crucial part of the equation, this just isn't good enough.

There's more than a few and they're leaders in the industry. Anyway, I'm pretty sure a balance can be struck somewhere in the vast area between "a few pests" and arson.

I think this brings things to one inevitable conclusion:  DCI's leadership stays and participation drops by 50% or more... DCI folds.  Or, parents' demand changes in leadership before sending their kids to march.  So the overall performance level declines, but the activity goes on.  Unfortunately, the parents are far from knowing enough or having enough influence to do this, so I just don't see there being drum corps much longer, sad as that would be.

40 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This is also my understanding of MAASIN's conclusion, or at least, part of why they haven't done so.

Another reason to put the knowledge in the marching member's hands and see what happens. And, while I'm critical of SafeSport, why I'm glad it's been implemented. And why I support @NewToPosting above.

We're in harm-reduction mode people.

The reason why I think it's helpful is, until last winter, I had never received any sort of training for any winterguard or drum corps or marching band I taught...ever.  I finally got that training in winter and now if I encounter it, I feel empowered to act and will know what to do.  To me, that's most important.  Empower the people who witness or encounter, but don't know how to act.  It's not innate to know, especially in some grey areas (hint: it's almost always grey).

The activity won't survive if it's not a safe space - not talking about "snowflake" safe space, I mean an actual safe space where people can trust the process and not leave damaged human beings.  We've had enough of that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, gbass598 said:

I think if you ask a lot of people here, the answer is "worry about where George Hopkins is located right now on DCP" instead of creating proactive solutions and ideas to protect the activity and try to prevent it from happening again.

grossly inaccurate

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

Listen to people who are dealing with this in other activities.  The person working on this for USA Gymnastics (post-Larry Nassar) is a Star of Indiana alum whose career has been in writing policy that protects children.  

Implement SafeSport training for ALL (WGI did this last year - part of the training includes how to handle these situations, how you should behave to the reporter, who you need to contact and when).  

the SafeSport in bed with Varsity?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes - if SafeSport could catch, say 50%, that is more than what is caught now.

But it isn't enough to 'hire' SafeSport.  DCI (yes Jeff, I know) will need to cede some power to SafeSport.  Will be interesting to watch if/when the first incident plays out.

and ceding power is not their thing. ask the G7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Replying to several recent comments:

1) I think the drum corps community's 'negative' reaction on the social media platforms to the subject attending the two DCI events is a good thing.  We're not giving him 'air time' or attention, but the sole purpose is to encourage a solution by DCI & to apply pressure on the subject to discourage any & all participation in the activity.  (I may be wrong, but I think that pressure is starting to work.) 

2) There isn't any 'full proof' system or protocols that will prevent wrong doing in the activity.  Even in the public education field with criminal background checks, we still have educators that break the law.  (Some educators are basically just, "stupid"?)  But that doesn't mean that the systems shouldn't be established.  

3) Another thing that happens in education is what one reply mentioned.  When a school system releases an employee, often their principal will give them a good recommendation to another system instead of just telling them the truth.  (I've never understood that practice; but it could be just to get rid of their problem to make their job easier.)       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

There's more than a few and they're leaders in the industry. Anyway, I'm pretty sure a balance can be struck somewhere in the vast area between "a few pests" and arson.

You would hope.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

62 pages of worrying about where GH is tells me otherwise.

Perp version of Where's Waldo.

22 hours ago, gbass598 said:

62 pages of worrying about where GH is tells me otherwise.

You're overly simplified language in describing this thread is both telling to me and insulting to survivors that are working advocacy within. 

Edited by mingusmonk
Word choice
  • Like 1