AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

On 8/6/2022 at 2:32 PM, gbass598 said:

But he not a sexual predator in the eyes of the law. He did not have to register as one. if DCI wants to go down that slope, are they asking ticketmaster to scan their database of purchased tickets against a sexual predator database and keeping all of them out? There are plenty of former band directors and drum corps staff members who actually are registered sex offenders who could be attending events.

I often wonder how banning someone from a facility actually works. For example, if I run out onto the field naked at a MLB game and get banned from returning to that stadium, do they make every who works there memorize what i look like? There are plenty of easy ways I could get into the stadium without anyone knowing who I am to watch a game with thousands of people. They might remove me from that event but it would be pretty hard to keep me out permanently. I feel like all of those "bans" are empty threats that are never really enforced and therefore never actually challenged.

From the 2020  article in the Inquirer: 

Since the assault in the apartment occurred in 2010, before a recent amendment to Megan’s Law, Hopkins is not subject to sexual offender registration.”

He was sentenced to two years of probation, fined $5000 and referred to by the judge as “flatly disgusting” and and a predator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

You're overly simplified language in describing this thread is both telling to me and insulting to victims that are working advocacy within. 

No.

You are judging. This topic started because GH went to a drum corps show and then veered off topic into something that was discussed ad nauseum and handled by the courts and DCI more than 2 years ago that had zero to do with GH attending a drum corps show as a common spectator. I have not and will not insult any victims of any form of assault. I'm sure the actual victims of this would like to move forward with their lives and find solutions and their own way of dealing with things they've lived with. I'm sure the last thing they want to do is talk about GH constantly. If something like that happened to me I wouldn't want it brought up and discussed constantly on an internet message board by people who don't know me.

I prefer to look towards the future and learn from the past, not dwell on it. I feel many people here want to dwell on it. People may not agree with me that is fine. I don't have to agree with you but if you think am insulting anyone who is a victim you are mistaken. Let's talk solutions and the future and how we learn from the past.

• Sad 1

Just now, gbass598 said:

No.

You are judging. This topic started because GH went to a drum corps show and then veered off topic into something that was discussed ad nauseum and handled by the courts and DCI more than 2 years ago that had zero to do with GH attending a drum corps show as a common spectator. I have not and will not insult any victims of any form of assault. I'm sure the actual victims of this would like to move forward with their lives and find solutions and their own way of dealing with things they've lived with. I'm sure the last thing they want to do is talk about GH constantly. If something like that happened to me I wouldn't want it brought up and discussed constantly on an internet message board by people who don't know me.

I prefer to look towards the future and learn from the past, not dwell on it. I feel many people here want to dwell on it. People may not agree with me that is fine. I don't have to agree with you but if you think am insulting anyone who is a victim you are mistaken. Let's talk solutions and the future and how we learn from the past.

I'd say whatever your take on this tread, you've not entirely listed to the voices of actual survivors right here in this thread and elsewhere about what Hopkins' presence at those shows creates for them and how their dialogue has been about way more than just that triggering presence.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, year1buick said:

From the 2020  article in the Inquirer: 

Since the assault in the apartment occurred in 2010, before a recent amendment to Megan’s Law, Hopkins is not subject to sexual offender registration.”

He was sentenced to two years of probation, fined $5000 and referred to by the judge as “flatly disgusting” and and a predator.

Being a vile human being who made poor choices and being a legally registered sexual offender in a government database in the eyes of the law don't have to be tied together.

I'm sure there are plenty of vile, disgusting human beings who attend drum corps shows as spectators each night. Nobody seems concerned with them being in the vicinity of members that they have no direct contact with.

5 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Being a vile human being who made poor choices and being a legally registered sexual offender in a government database in the eyes of the law don't have to be tied together.

I'm sure there are plenty of vile, disgusting human beings who attend drum corps shows as spectators each night. Nobody seems concerned with them being in the vicinity of members that they have no direct contact with.

Maybe there are those people there.  But this particular one is known.  And what is known was done in the drum corps world, which we know is trying to course correct.  Part of that correction should be his ouster from the very same activity he preyed on.  Completely and permanently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Maybe there are those people there.  But this particular one is known.  And what is known was done in the drum corps world, which we know is trying to course correct.  Part of that correction should be his ouster from the very same activity he preyed on.  Completely and permanently.

Hard to believe, I know BUT this person STILL has alot of supporters in the activity. Why? Im not sure, but it's true. Forget for a second the horrible damage done to the people involved BUT the horiffic way he treated most over the decades, especially once you weren'lt of use and stopped kissing the ring.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, gbass598 said:

62 pages of worrying about where GH is tells me otherwise.

you actually don't see a lot of worrying. you see far more condemnation and people wanting him banned for life

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, gbass598 said:

No.

he was told to stay away for violating DCI's code of conduct. he didn't. so just ignoring him doesn't solve anything because until this came to light here, DCI did or said nothing

• Like 3