AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

14 minutes ago, ykw said:

“You know man, the only way I'm gonna put something out there like that, is if I'm ready to dance with that cat.  

You know what I mean?

You put something out there and there's consequences, you know?

All you got are your actions man, and remember, words are actions too, you wanna dance with that dude?”

Tell me what that’s from or I won’t be able to sleep tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, oldestoftheold said:

Good lord close this thread. dude was at an event as a spectator and y’all are coming at him with pitch forks ready to burn him at the stake. 

If you are oldestoftheold, like me, you know the history of this activity and how Drum Corps looks the other way, and even celebrates predators.  It's history repeating itself again and again and again and again.  

I've seen this movie before.  I'm surprised you haven't. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

DCI has an ethics and compliance reporting channel.  If you want to flood them with emails, it's better through that channel vs the contact us channel

ethics@dci.org

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Reggi93 said:

DCI has an ethics and compliance reporting channel.  If you want to flood them with emails, it's better through that channel vs the contact us channel

ethics@dci.org

Good idea.  And perhaps we should sent several emails each just to make sure they get the message 

• Like 3

Thanks to all in the thread who recommended contacts. I have written MAASIN and DCI directly about this matter. Here is what I just sent to the ethics email at DCI. Feel free to modify as needed:

To the DCI ethics team:

My name is _______ and I marched with the Santa Clara Vanguard from 2003-2005. During that time I endured abuse and neglect and have written openly about this to the drum corps community with the blessing of leadership at SCV.

I'm writing to inform you that I've been made aware of George Hopkins' attendance at the San Antonio regional this past weekend. Given what I endured (and that it has been corroborated internally by SCV leadership), I implore you to investigate this and ensure that transparent steps are taken to keep survivors of abuse in drum corps safe.

I look forward to your timely response,
_______

With that, I have got to stop for tonight. For those of you who are not survivors or people who support and love survivors, I'll say this. I've been feeling sick all day engaging with this. I only push myself because I know I have a responsibility to current MMs at my corps and others to speak up and take action when I see a way to. Good night and tomorrow's a SHOW DAY!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7