AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

20 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Could be wrong, but I think she's off the beat.

I contacted her about my story in April/May and she made some great recommendations but said she couldn't help.

I think Jaccii Farris is on it. Asking the right questions on Twitter, at least.

Tricia does the same kind of work but now at USA Today. She has been teamed with folks that took down USA Gymnastics/Nasser to expose the systematic issues in Varsity/Cheerleading.

Just now, mingusmonk said:

Tricia does the same kind of work but now at USA Today. She has been teamed with folks that took down USA Gymnastics/Nasser to expose the systematic issues in Varsity/Cheerleading.

Right. So on a new beat. Still doing meaningful work, but out of the drum corps scene for now.

So glad she's working on that. She's needed. But her hands are probably full. Still worth it to reach out, I suppose.

55 minutes ago, RedUnit said:

What about Tricia Nadolny? She was pretty deep into the Hop story when it went down...does she still do investigative stuff for The Inquirer?

She’s with USA Today now

12 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

DCI has never ever been proactive. Frankly I don’t believe that they have any teeth or even want to engage in this matter with GH. They will continue to keep their head in the sand until something bits them in the butt. DCI has been a colossal failure with respect to pageantry leech creepers in their activity! 

They’re not proactive about anything.  Every crisis comes from behind and bites them square in the ###. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've been avoiding putting in my two cents because frankly I didn't want the stress of it all. 

But, I've seen a lot of people talk about DCI not doing anything. I just want to bring back to light that DCI was founded because the Corps wanted to be in charge of themselves. Whether we agree or disagree with the current model, DCI has a fine line of control over the Corps. DCI is essentially solely in charge of the idea of a competition. Heck, even half the shows are run by the Corps themselves. 

Basically, what I'm getting at is maybe DCI can ban people from a DCI sanctioned event, but events that aren't technically run by DCI, I don't believe they would have control over. 

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the outcome, once probation is over, he becomes as free person again. As a collective, we can stop him from teaching in the activity, but I don't know if we can stop him from attending a paid ticketed event as a patron. And calling him out in public could lead to blowback and harassment issues. I'm sure there are a lot of you on here that would feel it's justified, but truly two wrongs don't make a right. 

I mean absolutely no disrespect in this post towards anyone. I just think we need to be clear minded, logical, and understand realities. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

DCI has never ever been proactive. Frankly I don’t believe that they have any teeth or even want to engage in this matter with GH. They will continue to keep their head in the sand until something bits them in the butt. DCI has been a colossal failure with respect to pageantry leech creepers in their activity! 

I will continue to explicitly warn young people not to do drum corps until this is remedied... which... sadly, based on this situation, doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.

I'm still not sure how a community enthusiastic about youth education can put up with any of it. I still don't understand how they have for decades. Considering how long and wide the legacy of abuse goes in the activity, I'm not sure we can even say it was ever about youth education for some in power.

Some young people, like me at the time, just got duped and had our lives shattered. I didn't receive education in drum corps. I had everything I needed to achieve in drum corps before I got there; and when I got there, what I learned, I taught myself. I got harassed, used and erased by my own corps "family," all of whom are still out there leading the activity.

I was erased, of course, until former staffers, DCI and the corps feel like holding up 04 like some triumph of THEIRS. This is the sad reality for many survivors.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I've been avoiding putting in my two cents because frankly I didn't want the stress of it all. 

But, I've seen a lot of people talk about DCI not doing anything. I just want to bring back to light that DCI was founded because the Corps wanted to be in charge of themselves. Whether we agree or disagree with the current model, DCI has a fine line of control over the Corps. DCI is essentially solely in charge of the idea of a competition. Heck, even half the shows are run by the Corps themselves. 

Basically, what I'm getting at is maybe DCI can ban people from a DCI sanctioned event, but events that aren't technically run by DCI, I don't believe they would have control over. 

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the outcome, once probation is over, he becomes as free person again. As a collective, we can stop him from teaching in the activity, but I don't know if we can stop him from attending a paid ticketed event as a patron. And calling him out in public could lead to blowback and harassment issues. I'm sure there are a lot of you on here that would feel it's justified, but truly two wrongs don't make a right. 

I mean absolutely no disrespect in this post towards anyone. I just think we need to be clear minded, logical, and understand realities. 

So if the buck doesn't stop with DCI (I don't agree on this point), then it stops with the corps themselves? Just trying to pull us back from throwing our hands up.

I don't encourage harassment. To be clear, I said I'm glad I'm not going so I don't get myself in trouble because I very likely would. My own family said in response to my abuse, that it's a good thing they didn't know about it at the time because they would've gotten themselves in trouble by confronting my abusers. Same story. I know when to and how to control myself and I encourage others to do the same.

He's broken rules. He's filmed shows and posted them online, he's broken his probation, and he's attended an event after DCI explicitly told him he'd be trespassing if he did so. These are facts. If nothing else, he can be held accountable for these things, right?

Throwing our hands up is not an option. He is "causing issues" for current DCI member corps when he shows up according to their own words.

Permitting an abuser back into the community while gatekeeping people like me who have worked our whole careers to safeguard minors and young people from predators like GH is sick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

You must be the only person here who hasn’t gotten the DCI letter to you know who.