AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

Well given this weeks drama, Pokeman won’t be the game this weekend Hoppyman will be

• Like 1

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

One of the people responding to their other posts is seriously ticking me off and I admire how calm they’re being about it:

forgiveness allows others to release that anger and bitterness before it poisons them which it surely will do eventually.”

I have seen some very enraged and overwrought posts on here. Those folks aren’t hurting him, but they are not being positive and are hurting themselves.”

(…)

People who spend more time expecting victims to forgive than they do engaging victims’ feelings, or extending grace to the people who can’t forgive, can #### off. I hate that. It’s not that forgiveness isn’t important; I agree that anger eats away at you. But if you’re going to say that, acknowledge the anger, acknowledge why a survivor might be feeling it. 

People expect you to forgive, and yet they can’t even manage to face or talk about the horror of what it is that you’re supposed to be forgiving. The irony. 

Grumpy old guy aptly named. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

One of the people responding to their other posts is seriously ticking me off and I admire how calm they’re being about it:

forgiveness allows others to release that anger and bitterness before it poisons them which it surely will do eventually.”

I have seen some very enraged and overwrought posts on here. Those folks aren’t hurting him, but they are not being positive and are hurting themselves.”

(…)

People who spend more time expecting victims to forgive than they do engaging victims’ feelings, or extending grace to the people who can’t forgive, can #### off. I hate that. It’s not that forgiveness isn’t important; I agree that anger eats away at you. But if you’re going to say that, acknowledge the anger, acknowledge why a survivor might be feeling it. 

People expect you to forgive, and yet they can’t even manage to face or talk about the horror of what it is that you’re supposed to be forgiving. The irony. 

Yeah....

I was arguing with this clown before I deleted my account. They claimed to be a survivor. It's worse when fellow survivors behind a computer screen try to step in and offer what worked for them to heal.

The best practices response to survivors is to ask what their needs are first. No one outside of a survivor's family/circle of trust has the right to offer suggestions on how to heal.... let alone suggest forgiveness.

Those clowns also weren't arguing in good faith. Another classic sign of a troll. Tried to provide countermeasures for anyone who might be tempted to listen to them, but I can only take so much myself.

Our dc community is sick yall.... 🤮

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Our dc community is sick yall.... 🤮

a small subset of an overall sick community - it really begins in the home, if little boys aren't taught right from wrong we end up with horrific adult males

DCI really needs a much tougher stance, Hopkins should be banned for life, they should install strict guidelines for hiring background checks... 

A zero-tolerance policy is way too late - we need better front-end screening and very specific guidelines for minor/adult interactions. DCI is too hands off.

I know there's some investigations swirling around several TOP drum corps re member health and safety (Covid related) - hopefully a sign DCI is becoming more aware - when for years the mindset was "oh, that's up to the individual corps organization blah blah" DCI responsibility doesn't begin and end at the edge of a contest field. 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

a small subset of an overall sick community - it really begins in the home, if little boys aren't taught right from wrong we end up with horrific adult males

DCI really needs a much tougher stance, Hopkins should be banned for life, they should install strict guidelines for hiring background checks... 

A zero-tolerance policy is way too late - we need better front-end screening and very specific guidelines for minor/adult interactions. DCI is too hands off.

I know there's some investigations swirling around several TOP drum corps re member health and safety (Covid related) - hopefully a sign DCI is becoming more aware - when for years the mindset was "oh, that's up to the individual corps organization blah blah" DCI responsibility doesn't begin and end at the edge of a contest field. 

Well said and thanks. I would only add that the longer people like GH and lax protocols are tolerated, more and more talent will continue to flea for our own safety. I already recommend young people wait a year after HS graduation to march and to be very picky about where they go. I recommend they grill corps for their safety protocols.

I do this because the activity has reduced MM safety to individual responsibility. And even though I waited a year after HS graduation, I still wasn't ready for what I would ultimately endure.

If corps don't beef of these protocols in a transparent way, the community will continue to hobble forward with folks who enable or turn a blind eye to abuse and neglect. As it has been for decades....

• Like 3

Paraphrasing myself from previous posts but dci is the inmates running the asylum as dci is the corps. Dan can only do what the board directs him to do. And time and again when crisis hits a corps, well they’re on their own ( see Spirit, Pioneer, OC, Crossmen, Phantom…)

until there is some kind of centralized system in place not run by Varsity, it will never get better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

until there is some kind of centralized system in place not run by Varsity, it will never get better. 

Agreed.

Can you envision a future in which corps are actually able to beef themselves up on these matters? I really think transparency would be key, which is why I have my doubts as well. Just thought I'd offer a thought experiment since DCI seems to be asleep at the wheel.

Any corps that could actually do this transparently and follow through such that MMs were able to report back that corps are actually holding themselves accountable.... dang, I'd send people there right away. They'd have future MM's knocking down the doors. I don't understand a downside really.... except maybe that it's hard work I guess...

30 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Agreed.

Can you envision a future in which corps are actually able to beef themselves up on these matters? I really think transparency would be key, which is why I have my doubts as well. Just thought I'd offer a thought experiment since DCI seems to be asleep at the wheel.

Any corps that could actually do this transparently and follow through such that MMs were able to report back that corps are actually holding themselves accountable.... dang, I'd send people there right away. They'd have future MM's knocking down the doors. I don't understand a downside really.... except maybe that it's hard work I guess...

I can only think of one corps that can as you never hear anything negative about them except show design and results 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I can only think of one corps that can as you never hear anything negative about them except show design and results 

If we're thinking of the same corps, that's why they're "untouchable," if you will.

Take good care of the MMs, get good results. Simple.

Still, I wish the activity (and corps specifically) were more open to info sharing. Hording solutions doesn't help either. (Not accusing said corps of this, 'cause I wouldn't know. Obviously, you have to be willing to listen for info sharing to work.)