AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

1 hour ago, Cadet Guardy said:

Ouch, really? Bringing his daughter into this? Not cool, nor necessary - why would it matter to anyone? Her participation in the activity has nothing to do with this. She has nothing to do with this.

Not what I meant at all. I only meant that he might be at the show to support her. (I marched. I know them both)

• Like 1

Just now, Lance said:

because he is whatever he is doesn't mean this is an issue that should be ignored.  that's what you're implying should be done, and it's categorically wrong.  you choose to do what you want, but implying that concerned people voicing those concerns should stop for any reason is revolting, at least to me.  

please, don't let dci ignore this to make a few people who don't know how to think things through "comfortable".  yuck.  

People like this love the attention, feeding him doesnt do anyone any good...except in his own mind. It's always been like this with him, even before this all came out.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

I often agree with you, Cappy, but not on this.  This thread, and especially the article Terri thankfully added a link to above opened my eyes even further.  Discussion and awareness are the kryptonite that ultimately makes how we handle these things better.  Are things like sexual misconduct uncomfortable and unpleasant?  Absolutely, and far more horrific than just "uncomfortable and unpleasant."  Racism and domestic violence and the consequences of both fit in that same category.  As a victim of domestic violence that almost killed me (which also included a sexual assault), I can attest to that personally.    

I for one am very glad this came up and is being circulated and discussed in detail again.

Harvey

No worries, we won’t agree on everything 🙂 

I see the point being made about raising awareness to those who may be unaware and sympathize with that. I just think it can be done in a better way: a stickied and locked topic regarding the incident with a link to a petition to DCI that can be shared by all of us in our drum corps circles as well as a message imploring all of us to contact DCI directly.

As someone else said, GH is a textbook narcissist. Narcissists feed off of attention and infamy, it is exactly the psychological profile of many abusers, mass shooters, and all other kinds of horrible people. He is known as an avid reader of DCP and I am sure he will be delighted to read that his presence at the show was noticed and that people are talking about him.

I, for one, will not continue giving him the satisfaction in this thread and will instead type a letter to DCI instead; an action that will do a hell of a lot more than whatever the discussion eventually devolves to in this thread. 

Im out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

As a survivor of abuse at other people's hands at another corps, I respectfully disagree. I agree with your premise, but not your conclusion.

Do you think they care whats being said?  Their past would suggest no. IMO if there are those who feel They should be banned then write to DCI, write the person, They are so self centered I wouldnt be surprised if they answered what their intentions are. I just hate to feed someone who thrives on it, especially now that they are free to slither about.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

People like this love the attention, feeding him doesnt do anyone any good...except in his own mind. It's always been like this with him, even before this all came out.

People here freaking out about him makes it worse. People spend waaay too much time worrying about others. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I’m not going to talk about it anymore either. It just makes me feel bad.

But I want to emphasize that if you believe that they can’t worm their way back into the activity, I think you’re wrong.  I’ve seen it too many times.

You are 100% right

• Thanks 2

every single person at every level of dci leadership would like people to not talk about this.  if anything, that's a clarion call that it needs to be talked about. 

and predators can and do "worm" their ways back time and again.  some people just learn nothing, unfortunately. these same people said all of these same things when the accusations first came to light....no use in talking about it on a message board, contact dci directly, etc. like verbatim.  totally surreal, but not unexpected. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Do you think they cares whats being said?  Theirpast would suggest no. IMO if there are those who feel They should be banned then write to DCI, write the person, They are so self centered I wouldnt be surprised if they answered what their intentions are. I just hate to feed someone who thrives on it, especially now that they are free to slither about.

The first response when addressing a survivor should probably be I'm sorry you went through that. Just in case you encounter one of us again the future. Skipping past our disclosure contributes to our silencing.

That said, no one here has the individual power to make change. A letter or even a few letters won't cut it.

That's why people are in dialogue (hopefully as respectfully as possible), and suggesting collective action. Neither of those are possible if we don't address it at all.

• Like 8