AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

2 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

If you read the article, he is serving a two year probation & was assigned a parol officer.  If it's completed, then he didn't have to have permission to travel out of state.  If he's still under the probation, then I would think he had to check in & receive permission to travel to visit his daughter.  (No issue with visiting his daughter.)  The judge even instructed the parol officer to require "sex offender therapy".  If he breaks his parol, then he would be sent to state prison. 

I agree that it might be a difficult process for DCI to ban him from their events, but if it's considered a private event, then I think DCI would be in their rights  to obtain a restraining order.  I know in education, it's not hard to have a disorderly parent banned from our school property.  

I am simply speculating.  I'm not an attorney, but in my experience over the years I've seen similar situations.  But I think letters or emails to the DCI office would be a great start.  I really have zero experience with the online petitions.       

Agree. Good points. I do think DCI may eventually be able to ban him. But it will take lawyers and money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

Yes, there are, so we have to keep our eyes open for those people. GH is not going to direct or work for a drum corps ever again. I am quite confident that DCI would not let that happen. Can he attend a show? I guess so...for now, but that may change. I personally hope it does change. All I am pointing out right now is that the LAW is the LAW. I will never forget what he did, but I am moving on to building a better activity. Part of BUILDING that better activity means working for better protections for the members, staff, and management; and it means continually keeping our eyes open for those who commit these crimes. 

Based on your previous argument, then how can they prevent him from working with an organization in the future?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree. Good points. I do think DCI may eventually be able to ban him. But it will take lawyers and money. 

So we need a petition to DCI & a go fund me for DCI.  😁

I am an educator but I have taken several law courses & like the debate. 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The rule could be ‘Individuals who were removed from the DCI HoF for cause are banned from attending DCI events’.  I understand this is rather narrow.

edit - add ‘or instruct/consult with DCI Corps’ to the above rule

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

• I get the sentiment of wanting to erase everything about this person, but the law does not work that way. Many on here are very emotional about this person and what he did, and you should be. I am too. And look at the damage it did. But the legal system is clear. He is a free man. He can live his life. He has a right to work and feed himself. He has a right to see shows, go to restaurants, see movies, go hiking, post on websites or social media, etc. And if you infringe on his rights you will be the one going to jail. You don't have to like it, but that's the law. 

It does in this case. A business, including a 501(c)3 such as Drum Corps, can legally ban a customer not only based on its discretion, but also for health, safety, or other similar reasons including a code of conduct.

He can be banned from attending DCI shows, but we're apparently a long way from that as we can't even get him out of a $%^&@ VIP booth.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The rule could be ‘Individuals who were removed from the DCI HoF for cause are banned from attending DCI events’.  I understand this is rather narrow. 

Wow, I forgot that he was removed from the HOF.  They could probably add a clause to their by-laws? I think it can be done rather easily.  (Or relatively with ease.). You maybe on to something.

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Folks, I don't have concrete solutions here, but it doesn't look like many of us do.

So here, from the bottom of my heart, as someone who has endured the lasting effects of abuse and neglect at the hands of the Santa Clara Vanguard from 2003-2005, I'll tell you this:

I am unwavering in my opinion that doors should be open for engaging in dialogue about this person and anyone else who abuses or neglects a young person in our drum corps community. Honest (ideally calm, although this is difficult) dialogue must be the standard in these situations. Now, if you don't want to participate, I dig, that's different!

Why am I unwavering? Because when I read the accounts of abuse at the Cadets, Spirit of Atlanta, Phantom Regiment and sadly, too many others, I thought to myself thank the stars! Someone is saying something! And jeez, it took a national paper to do it!

It took me from the time of the disclosure of what happened at the Cadets until April of this year to go from not acknowledging what happened to me (but apparently, my partner remembers years and years of this) to sharing my letter not just publicly, but with SC directly and first.

How many other survivors are going to read our words? What do you want them to know? If it's to stay silent and/or not talk about it, I'm sorry, but I'll never agree with you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It does in this case. A business, including a 501(c)3 such as Drum Corps, can legally ban a customer not only based on its discretion, but also for health, safety, or other similar reasons including a code of conduct.

He can be banned from attending DCI shows, but we're apparently a long way from that as we can't even get him out of a $%^&@ VIP booth.

Thank you.  I know it's pretty easy for our school system to take out a restraining order or execute a ban on unruly individuals.  Of course, we also live in a smaller 'bedroom' community to a larger city.   

11 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Based on your previous argument, then how can they prevent him from working with an organization in the future?

DCI may not be able to ban him from a show (at least not yet) but they can adopt bylaws that apply to all DCI member corps that clearly state any offender of the following violations (documented list) can no longer apply for , or be considered for, any position of any type (even chaperone or volunteer) involving a member corps of DCI. 

As for the DCI shows, these are events held on public property for which DCI does not own, and though DCI is a private organization sponsoring the event they would likely have to apply for some restraining order but ultimately the Judge may not agree. They cannot stop him from coming to town or even being in the parking lot. DCI does not own the parking lot. They do not own the stadium. Legally it becomes a mess and they would need help from local officials and a judge who is willing to approve the ban. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1