AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

2 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

I think they might be saying that he was here to visit with his daughter and support her first, not try to make some big "comeback" appearance. 

And Mama bear said to Papa bear …

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

DCI may not be able to ban him from a show (at least not yet) but they can adopt bylaws that apply to all DCI member corps that clearly state any offender of the following violations (documented list) can no longer apply for , or be considered for, any position of any type (even chaperone or volunteer) involving a member corps of DCI. 

As for the DCI shows, these are events held on public property for which DCI does not own, and though DCI is a private organization sponsoring the event they would likely have to apply for some restraining order but ultimately the Judge may not agree. They cannot stop him from coming to town or even being in the parking lot. DCI does not own the parking lot. They do not own the stadium. Legally it becomes a mess and they would need help from local officials and a judge who is willing to approve the ban. 

Most venues such as the Alamodome are probably public property.  Certainly the school venues are public.  But I think you would be hard to find a judge that wouldn't rule in favor of DCI in this matter.

But I also think DCI could make it hard on the subject to become 'reengaged' in their activities.  If you're the DCI organization, why would you want the individual to even come around the activity even in 'the lot'?  I would think & hope that they would not want the individual engaged in the activity.       

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Yes, there are, so we have to keep our eyes open for those people. GH is not going to direct or work for a drum corps ever again. I am quite confident that DCI would not let that happen. Can he attend a show? I guess so...for now, but that may change. I personally hope it does change. All I am pointing out right now is that the LAW is the LAW. I will never forget what he did, but I am moving on to building a better activity. Part of BUILDING that better activity means working for better protections for the members, staff, and management; and it means continually keeping our eyes open for those who commit these crimes. 

Not sure how the last couple of sentences pairs with the overall sentiment of your last post. But this post, yes. I agree with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

I think they might be saying that he was here to visit with his daughter and support her first, not try to make some big "comeback" appearance. 

In today's society, DCI could make a "comeback" reality show to make money.  (Which would be sad & incredulous) 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

"don't talk about it, it'll take care of itself" is exactly how this garbage keeps going.  it's the approach dci has taken for decades.  can't let that happen anymore.  

This is more about feeding the narcissist.  It only encourages them to continue doing what they're doing. There are probably better ways to deal with it than talking about it here, where the narcissist most likely browses...

That's many therapists recommendation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Most venues such as the Alamodome are probably public property.  Certainly the school venues are public.  But I think you would be hard to find a judge that wouldn't rule in favor of DCI in this matter.

I agree, and DCI will have to take that action. It doesn't hurt to try. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Not sure how the last couple of sentences pairs with the overall sentiment of your last post. But this post, yes. I agree with.

I think we are all on the same side here, I guess I was just trying to point out the difficulties with the law and how these things are never simple. 

• Like 4

I understand the desire to not feed the beast in talking about a narcissist. It seems obvious from briefly perusing his facebook and Blog that he intends to parlay his self-ordained insight into something bigger. Even if it is from the outside of any corps organization. On the other hand, he would NOT shy away from an offer. 

So when that train of "don't feed the narcissist" turns to silencing non-safe environments, it seems obvious the direction one should go. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

... and, I don't think a flamed thread on DCP is a solution in and of itself, it seems DCI could stand to take a little heat on this from somewhere in order to get more right on this issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

I understand the desire to not feed the beast in talking about a narcissist. It seems obvious from briefly perusing his facebook and Blog that he intends to parlay his self-ordained insight into something bigger. Even if it is from the outside of any corps organization. On the other hand, he would NOT shy away from an offer. 

So when that train of "don't feed the narcissist" turns to silencing non-safe environments, it seems obvious the direction one should go. 

Hopefully that will happen in the appropriate environment though.  Here just feeds the beast, imho.

It's all good. I get the concern, we all have, and it's valid.

• Like 1