A bunch of corps will not be in Atlanta. Why?

This makes me want to see DCI in unorthodox stadiums. Baseball field, golf green, or hell, even an ice hockey arena 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

This makes me want to see DCI in unorthodox stadiums. Baseball field, golf green, or hell, even an ice hockey arena 😂

Ice hockey arena - see 27th Lancers, 1980 Olympic Winter Games, Closing Ceremonies, Lake Placid, NY.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FTNK said:

No one wants to be outside in Hotlanta in late July

You are correct, I had to march Finals in Atlanta in 1984 and worse yet Miami in 1983!  YUCK!

1 hour ago, ykw said:

The tickets for the Luke Combs concert went on sale last November and my understanding was that it sold out quickly.

The CMA "entertainer of the year" is definitely a bigger draw in Atlanta than DCI could ever hope to be.

With these two concurrent events in close proximity, parking and traffic will be a nightmare.   

My stereotype of the average country music fan attending this concert has them traveling in some big ### "carnival truck" needing parking, not coming via MARTA.

Dude's last name is a hair utensil... :spitting:

1 hour ago, ykw said:

The tickets for the Luke Combs concert went on sale last November and my understanding was that it sold out quickly.

The CMA "entertainer of the year" is definitely a bigger draw in Atlanta than DCI could ever hope to be.

With these two concurrent events in close proximity, parking and traffic will be a nightmare.   

My stereotype of the average country music fan attending this concert has them traveling in some big ### "carnival truck" needing parking, not coming via MARTA.

^^^^^^  THIS

I did an approximation of the math back when the schedule first came out.  MBS makes about 60% more money from the LC concert than they would with DCI.  Not as much hotel business, but that's not the stadium management's job.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, On the 50 said:

Ice hockey arena - see 27th Lancers, 1980 Olympic Winter Games, Closing Ceremonies, Lake Placid, NY.

Years ago many corps in the Boston area started the season in a hockey rink…Drumfest.  Usually in early May?

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I'll be mowing our practice field this afternoon in the most intense part of the day. Told my wife we were moving to Canada.  I love the South, but not in the middle of summer. (Maybe I can talk her into a pool.)

You wouldn't want to live in Canada in the winter, that's for sure. I live in Canada and in my neck of the woods temperatures get down below -40. That Polar Vortex that hit Texas a couple years ago past through here first and temps bottomed out at -43!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I've marched on some of those #### fields BITD... Trust me it is not pleasant marching backwards or even forwards at lightning speeds over a baseball mound or plywood thrown down to cover other issues... 

• Like 1