Wednesday, July 27th ... “DCI Southern Mississippi” … M M Roberts Stadium Hattiesburg, MISSISSIPPI

2 minutes ago, brassboy said:

These aren't intentionally shortened panels. Something prevents the assigned judge from attending. For all we know it could be COVID for them too.

Could be covid, cancelled flight, family emergency, etc

A good competition will bring out the best in everyone. Can’t wait to see what these performers do with these shows between now and Finals. As for the top spot, if BAC takes it, they will have earned it. And if BD, takes it, BAC and the other corps will have pushed them to do their best. 

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Oh for sure, the score might not catch up until finals week, but I think BAC’s performances are making a good case for them as a gold contender. I think Crown’s still visually dirty enough that where they fall in this is unpredictable— if they clean, they’re gonna be a threat, and if not, then not.

BAC has the kinda show where their GE is gonna rise simply because they’ll be performing it better and better and with more fire. You can tell this is a corps that knows it has a shot.  

Not throwing away their shot!

It’ll be interesting to see if it maintains in Atlanta. Nonetheless, well done Boston! They certainly deserve to celebrate this moment.

• Like 3

Just now, lyndakay27 said:

The opening narration says “ the blue and the dim and the dark cloths”. Which these canvases symbolize. I’m sure they aren’t the final “cloths”. Placeholders for now. 

Thank you

• Like 1

Murfreesboro should be interesting.  See who takes what captions and corps fall a little behind in certain captions.  Hard to gage these shows unless most of the contenders are there.  My hunch is it’s getting closer now due to an increase in GE from BAC. These two are definitely separating themselves from the pack.  Achievement will always raise those GE scores.  

6 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The Blue Devils are amazing! The drill at the end is much better. They changed a little music too. The whole show is there and I love it, but tonight the hot solo mics and FLO picking up too much from those mics was very distracting with every corps. It also exposed some issues I have with BD's soloists in Moon River and the closer. The scream solo trumpet in Cowboy Bebop is fine. Cowboy Bebop should just flat out ignite the audience when they clean that. 

Ok, a few suggestions Blue Devils: 

1) In Moon River once the full brass ensemble enters cut the trombone. He should not come in until near the end, just before the last trumpet tag. When the full brass enters the trombone on top of the full ensemble hit is just a mess. It clutters the amazing effect of that climax. Also, as a professional trombonist I am getting so tired of glissando after glissando in DCI (not just you BD). Good grief. The instrument can sound so much more beautiful than all the circus glissandos. Warm it up and have the young man play in more of a Tommy Dorsey style. Don't overdue the clown effect.

2) Please take the lead trumpet soloist out of the reprise of Moon River after the backfield company front in the closer. It's not working. Let him rest until you need him toward the end. I want to hear for melodic content from the full brass as the show builds to a close. 

Otherwise, what a corps and what a show. 

The Moon River trombone business seemed much less grating in SA, but tonight it was back to the Carol Burnett skit of someone trying to play pretty and a trombone keeps barging in. 🤦‍♀️ I hope at least some of that was Flo!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I thought BD had a really poor outing tonight.  I heard horns out off pitch, their snare line had some issues, and that color guard cannot seem to hold onto their tosses.  I even saw form issues that were not there last Saturday.  Every corps has their ups and downs.  On the other side I thought Boston really brought the heat tonight, and their guard was excellent.  I really like Boston's show.  We will get a feel how everyone stacks up on Friday, but I think the spread between BD and whoever is in second place will be at 1.1 points.  In other words it is getting tighter, but that happens as the scores get higher and higher.  I think my favorite shows right now are BD, Boston, Cadets, Crown and then Bloo.  I also enjoy Cavies Mandarins, and Phantom.  I am still having issues with SCV, Blue Knights, and Blue Stars.  Still, all the corps have something interesting to offer.  I am glad things are tightening up, it will be nice if we do not  know BD is going to be winning be the end of Friday night.  I fear the gap will widen, because I really believe this was one of BD's worst outings.  Still I would like a fight for the gold, silver and bronze at Finals.  It makes everything more interesting!

Edited by jmc5682
spelling
  • Like 2

I still wonder why Moon River cut the cool counter-clockwise drill it used to have. A lot more interesting, IMO.