Personal Info “Oh Crap” on DCP

Taking some time off here for various reasons but noticed something that goes against my “Safeguarding Personal Info” training (taken every year courtesy of Dept of Defense forever).

When I put my birthday in the DCP account somehow I thought I was the only one to see it. But looked at my account while I was logged off and there it is for all to see. So means anyone (including non DCPers) can see your birthday. Nice little piece that identity thieves look for. 

Putting it in this forum as it’s the only one getting traffic. Think people should be made aware.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I've seen this at times but wasn't sure when, where, or who could see this.

It looks like it can be changed. I never put in my bday so that helps.

Displaying this info should be more openly optional.

Same here on not being sure.

Couldn't figure out how to clear after it was entered so now I am 102 years old. Also happens to be age of my last corps. 

• Like 1

Moved to the Service Center

that's a good point, Jim - a quick check of the member roster shows most folks don't enter their birthday -  we really don't use that info anyway unless we started doing demographics, which I doubt we would ever do.

You can change your <profile> and enter no value for your birthday.

21 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

Moved to the Service Center

that's a good point, Jim - a quick check of the member roster shows most folks don't enter their birthday -  we really don't use that info anyway unless we started doing demographics, which I doubt we would ever do.

You can change your <profile> and enter no value for your birthday.

Understood it’s a service center topic John… but *sigh* don’t think it will be seen too much….

Will check the blanking out bit. 2+ years retired and all that training is still with me. 🤪Now if I can just tell my in laws not to post “whole family is on vacation this week” on Facebook without getting 😡

edit: blanked out BDay. Top line is the blank, thought it was spacing for the drop down

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Jim.  

I've changed the settings on the system to permit only the Member themselves and the forum Admin team to see the birthday in a Member's profile.   Of course, if the Member doesn't enter the information, there's nothing shown to anyone.

Thanks again.

-johnD