What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

Safety and inclusion… everything else is secondary. If they don’t protect members and get abusers out of the activity, it doesn’t matter how financially secure it is and definitely doesn’t matter how well balanced the competition is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FTNK said:

Safety and inclusion… everything else is secondary. If they don’t protect members and get abusers out of the activity, it doesn’t matter how financially secure it is and definitely doesn’t matter how well balanced the competition is.

This.

If its not done, the current generation will walk on the activity and it'll be over.

I'd actually put a new tour model second here but for mostly safety and wellbeing issues.

1) the touring model we have + Show design and instruction in place puts a ton of stress on student bodies which can = injuries.  

2) The economy of travel is and will continue to be fairly unpredictable as the worlds economies work at changing their depencency on fossil fuels.

3) Notably, climate.  I'm not saying the Texas tour has to be dropped, but maybe not basically mandating that all corps go through Texas (via the San Antonio show) would allow corps more flexibility if they can afford or want to push through shows and rehersals happening in 100+ Temps on the way there.  

Reconfiguring the touring model to a more regional structure again with 'this is our year to go west' or 'this is our year to go south' planning might allow for less congestion on whatever indoor housing and practice facilities are available through the region which = less bodies being put through the wringer.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It all comes down to safety, wellness, and belonging for me. All other issues stem from not centralizing those areas of the activity.

Other than saying that, I'm going to actively sit this one out unless I feel it absolutely necessary to speak up. 🤐

I'm genuinely curious about others' thoughts here. I've been away a long time.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
Spoiler alert: I failed.
  • Like 4

Safety and inclusion by far. This activity can’t stay afloat if marchers and parents aren’t comfortable with the touring model and the corps environment. It is part of the reason why I posted the cultural appropriation thread, things like that may seem small, but one corps taking it too far or fostering an environment that makes minorities uncomfortable could cause serious damage. 

Additionally DCI has to figure out a better system to report abuse and remove the abusers and enablers from this activity. That is the biggest danger to the viability of the activity. It seems like a new story comes out every offseason now 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

This is not just for 2023 but how about maybe every 5 years having finals week somewhere else other than Indy. It was that way for the majority of DCI existence. No reason why Indy is set in stone.

For financial reasons. The deal DCI has in Lucas Oil is pretty much unbeatable. And thr attendance at Lucas oil is doing just fine 

• Like 1

I think the biggest issue is weather/climate change, but I picked new touring model because that’s the closest one in my opinion to what I feel is the most pressing concern. As the environment changes and more catastrophic weather events occur, the corps will have to adjust the touring model to compensate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1