What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

9 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Working smarter is always the way to go.  Did someone make the argument of building character?  Drum corps already does that..a lot. 

Indeed. No, I was just cutting that path preemptively in case that's where we were going.

9 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Seriously, we don't need to coddle mostly young adults.  They are old enough to make decisions.  Trust in the people that are on the field.  I give them a LOT more credit for knowing when they need to sit down and take a break.  Trust me, this is NOTHING compared to detasseling corn fields...THAT truly sucked.

Mmm, power dynamics (at least in the past) make it all too easy for MMs to be pushed beyond their limits. That's why there's the floating accusation of drum corps being cult-ish.

I'm all about giving MMs the agency to choose their destinies but they're still young and don't have the experience with establishing boundaries, let alone reinforcing them with adults in power. It's not coddling. It's about holding the adults in the room accountable for standards and procedures. As usual this discussion has little to do with what the MMs CAN do... and more to do with what they can and cannot be asked to do by staff.

Again, you're preaching to the choir here. I pushed myself beyond anything I thought possible when I marched... but not because it was necessary or I wanted to. It left me with still-open scars that I've decided to reveal to the whole drum corps world. Not fun. I shouldn't be in this position. And it's directly related to staff asking too much of me.

The imbalanced power dynamics in drum corps are not being included in this conversation. It's a pedagogical debate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Finals has happened in Texas before but it was prior to the creation of DCI.  One of the worst experiences of my life. I think it was 325 on the field - or at least felt like it in wool/cotton long-sleeve cadets, black pants, and dress oxfords. 

At the 1971 VFW Nats in Dallas, I overheard two Cotton Bowl staffers saying it was 135 on the field as we entered for prelims.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Indeed. No, I was just cutting that path preemptively in case that's where we were going.

Mmm, power dynamics (at least in the past) make it all too easy for MMs to be pushed beyond their limits. That's why there's the floating accusation of drum corps being cult-ish.

I'm all about giving MMs the agency to choose their destinies but they're still young and don't have the experience with establishing boundaries, let alone reinforcing them with adults in power. It's not coddling. It's about holding the adults in the room accountable for standards and procedures. As usual this discussion has little to do with what the MMs CAN do... and more to do with what they can and cannot be asked to do by staff.

Again, you're preaching to the choir here. I pushed myself beyond anything I thought possible when I marched... but not because it was necessary or I wanted to. It left me with still-open scars that I've decided to reveal to the whole drum corps world. Not fun. I shouldn't be in this position. And it's directly related to staff asking too much of me.

The imbalanced power dynamics in drum corps are not being included in this conversation. It's a pedagogical debate.

Well, that is true however, don't judge others from either your perspective or experiences.  Being 18-22 means you are an adult.  Not everything is a nail from your hammer.  Pushing people to be more than they are is an amazing thing.  The question is "what-if" too far?  I'm not seeing an issue for the most part.  Now,  people even considering merging of DCA and DCI...shudder.  Absolutely no way.  

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Well, that is true however, don't judge others from either your perspective or experiences.  Being 18-22 means you are an adult.  Not everything is a nail from your hammer.  Pushing people to be more than they are is an amazing thing.  The question is "what-if" too far?  I'm not seeing an issue for the most part.  Now,  people even considering merging of DCA and DCI...shudder.  Absolutely no way.  

My case is not the most extreme example of staff pushing boundaries too far, not by a long shot. Not even within Santa Clara. I'm not projecting, I'm exposing. I became a healer and pedagogue because I have needed to spend the last 20 years doing so to recover from the lasting injuries. Others in my shoes are still suffering.

DCI should consider as many affinity partnerships as possible. All ivory towers fall eventually.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm sure good business people could negotiate with the indoor facilities, especially once the facility managers find out that this could be a recurring thing.

I'm sure the universities in the state could use some more $$.

I dunno, probably something that has already been explored.

August is just so much tougher for Texas due to football.  They're already in preseason and scrimmages then, and facilities would be much harder to come by.  The reason DCI Southwest works as well as it does is because the Texas Bandmaster's Association is already in town for their annual conference, so it drives group ticket sales.  

Somewhat homer-ish, I do think Texas probably should host a Finals again simply due to the number of MMs and families from here, but I'd say probably DFW would be the best option because of the giant travel hub.

Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I haven't run a triathlon, but I've marched in it as I said. Was also clear that I LOVED marching in the heat.

The real question is WHY do this is if it's unnecessary? I wouldn't sign on with a single corps these days who didn't clearly outline for me what their heat mitigation protocols are.

By nature it’s a competitive activity in which time is the limiting factor.  I believe the educational value of drum corps is vastly overstated but I get it because of relationships to high schools and universities.  These kids sign up to compete and max out what they have been given in an extremely time limited scenario…and I would guess that many would state that as so.

Hydrate with more frequent and quicker breaks…shift visual and ensemble blocks early in the day, etc. There is all sorts of cooling and spf grade fabrics that work quite well in hot and humid conditions.  Condition and prepare for the environment…no need to avoid the swamp tour.

6 hours ago, Sideways said:

You people act like the kids are not conditioned for this heat and humidity.

Every Texas high school student (formerly me) is obviously conditioned for the weather, but that doesn't mean its not uncomfortable. Members who don't live in the south aren't as well equipped to stay comfortable in the weather. It's a discussion on comfort, not conditioning

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sideways said:

By nature it’s a competitive activity in which time is the limiting factor.  I believe the educational value of drum corps is vastly overstated but I get it because of relationships to high schools and universities.  These kids sign up to compete and max out what they have been given in an extremely time limited scenario…and I would guess that many would state that as so.

Hydrate with more frequent and quicker breaks…shift visual and ensemble blocks early in the day, etc. There is all sorts of cooling and spf grade fabrics that work quite well in hot and humid conditions.  Condition and prepare for the environment…no need to avoid the swamp tour.

Tours move too fast to acclimate this quickly to new climates. Getting out of the heat debate for a moment, that's like saying MMs get acclimated to the Rockies with any real time for it to matter. It doesn't, once they're acclimated, it's on to the next thing.

At what temperature are you willing to say no? I mean, once sneakers are melting and I'm seeing heat rays, I'm done... probably long before that. Because again, conditioning for extreme heat is not necessary for the betterment of these shows in any way, shape, or form. It's just something we all did so we think it's okay. It's not a crucial part of the experience to march at 110 outside. It's just not.

18 minutes ago, MikeN said:

August is just so much tougher for Texas due to football.  They're already in preseason and scrimmages then, and facilities would be much harder to come by.  The reason DCI Southwest works as well as it does is because the Texas Bandmaster's Association is already in town for their annual conference, so it drives group ticket sales.  

Somewhat homer-ish, I do think Texas probably should host a Finals again simply due to the number of MMs and families from here, but I'd say probably DFW would be the best option because of the giant travel hub.

Mike

I live in DFW and we definitely don’t have a shortage of indoor venues for the event itself. Whether the housing and base of operations can be accommodated for corps to be out of the heat as much as possible is another matter that I don’t actually know if we have enough of or not. I don’t know how many indoor fields the DFW area has, there are definitely plenty of schools and Universities in the area, if need be, being based further out in Denton and mayyybe Waco would be doable for some corps. I just don’t know how many indoor *field* accommodations are available for corps, maybe we do have enough, I’m not sure haha

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1