What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

3 minutes ago, Daave said:

When I asked, I was told that at the winter meetings before last season, the top 6 (as I was told) wanted last season to be a competitive season.  All things considered, the other 14 stood up to them and finally said, no.  When some didn't get their way, they chose to not field show last summer. 

That's gross. Are we children?

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47t8dpe5zgvykijfthy7z

1 hour ago, Daave said:

The only thing that is possible at this time is safety and inclusion.  Until such time as the board and the activity chooses to use or modify the existing governance system, none of the other choices will be meaningfully discussed by the voting membership.  As has been pointed out many times over the years, Dan answers to the board and serves at the leisure of the board and this is written into the bylaws.  Lets say he announces his retirement at finals, do you think the next person to be hired would have anything more to say than Dan has?  Not unless the bylaws are changed.

When I asked, I was told that at the winter meetings before last season, the top 6 (as I was told) wanted last season to be a competitive season.  All things considered, the other 14 stood up to them and finally said, no.  When some didn't get their way, they chose to not field show last summer.  Until the other 14 continue to stand up, none of the other choices in the poll will likely happen.

And, to quote 2muchcoffeeman from the recent Controversial Opinions thread , "finals culture is bad..."  

As currently structured, there is no reason to believe that the voting membership at the "have not" level will continue to stand up; or that the 'haves" will consider change in the governance structure, and a significant change to the existing bylaws.

I hope that I am wrong.

Was foolish not to have a competitive season last year…

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

The bugs in Florida..I mean are HUGE....

Have you seen the black flies in northern Michigan…those things can bite through plywood.

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

That's gross. Are we children?

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47t8dpe5zgvykijfthy7z

No they want money

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

Was foolish not to have a competitive season last year…

Well…. No. In some cases it allowed some corps to go out and do shows that helped them reconnect with fans and alumni. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

At the 1971 VFW Nats in Dallas, I overheard two Cotton Bowl staffers saying it was 135 on the field as we entered for prelims.

It was awful.  Surprised more people didn't pass out.  Must have been the horse-sized salt pills. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well…. No. In some cases it allowed some corps to go out and do shows that helped them reconnect with fans and alumni. 

Was foolish not to have a competitive season…was I not clear 

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

Was foolish not to have a competitive season…was I not clear 

you were clear. i disagree greatly.

• Like 4