What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

49 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Henlo fellow former-masochist! LURVED me some good, sweaty runs, rite?

I now live somewhere with perfect summers that never get above 80 and features afternoon monsoons. Related? Probably. 🙂

My skin is permanently olive LOL. Here's the bad part. My first DCI camp (I got cut but I was 14...soooooo) Remo had just come out with their latest and greatest dumb idea...the Powerstroke Chrome drum head. So it's 5 million degrees and we have reflective drum heads shining like a blinding light of utter stupidity up at us. Powerstroke was aptly named as I thought I was going to have a stroke from the reflection. 

I don't know how these cats do it now. I bought a riding lawn mower for the simple fact that I can do the whole lawn in 30 minutes and not steep in my own old man sweat for hours. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

My skin is permanently olive LOL. Here's the bad part. My first DCI camp (I got cut but I was 14...soooooo) Remo had just come out with their latest and greatest dumb idea...the Powerstroke Chrome drum head. So it's 5 million degrees and we have reflective drum heads shining like a blinding light of utter stupidity up at us. Powerstroke was aptly named as I thought I was going to have a stroke from the reflection. 

I don't know how these cats do it now. I bought a riding lawn mower for the simple fact that I can do the whole lawn in 30 minutes and not steep in my own old man sweat for hours. 

Pahaha, you're the best.

I've heard of some pretty dangerous battery design choices but that's pretty bad! ><

Similarly, I used to take great pride in my heat tolerance. I'm such a delicate flower now! 🥀

• Haha 1

In DCA when I marched a majority of rehearsals were on parking lots. Yeah to say I’m a fan of heat anymore is like saying I’m a fan of dirty percussion performances 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

What is currently the trending "hot topic" in Llama Psychology? MDD, Autism Spectrum Disorder? Fears of contracting West Nile Virus?

I have just completed an article to be published in the journal "Psychology: Right Here, Right Now" regarding the tendency for Llamas to get very agitated every time someone walks by and says "Llama Dama Ding Dong."   They do not appreciate this kind of name calling.   I hope it helps to educate society about how sensitive these animals are. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Oof, I'm not jealous!

Well we didn’t perform in the places dci did. We got what we got

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I disagree completely.

And here Is why you are wrong…it’s highly likely that there would have been less of a disruption via Covid last than what we are currently seeing.  Vaccines last year provided much better overall protection to the strains at the time.  Omicron variants spread far more easily and produce breakthrough infections, although much milder, at a vastly increased rate.  Hence the disruption we are seeing.

Also there was a much greater need to return to normalcy last year and instead they wrote it off.  BOA, WGI, any number of smaller state and or regional circuits pulled it off.  We can discuss if a shortened competitive season would have been more viable than a full blown tour…instead it was a completely missed opportunity.

3 hours ago, Sideways said:

And here Is why you are wrong…it’s highly likely that there would have been less of a disruption via Covid last than what we are currently seeing.  Vaccines last year provided much better overall protection to the strains at the time.  Omicron variants spread far more easily and produce breakthrough infections, although much milder, at a vastly increased rate.  Hence the disruption we are seeing.

Also there was a much greater need to return to normalcy last year and instead they wrote it off.  BOA, WGI, any number of smaller state and or regional circuits pulled it off.  We can discuss if a shortened competitive season would have been more viable than a full blown tour…instead it was a completely missed opportunity.

Competition is incredibly unimportant

• Thanks 1