Open Class in a World Class world

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Occurred to me - how long before BDA wins DCI, with BDB as runner-up?   

If that happens we will need to change the ABBD acronym.  

First BDB has to make finals 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Good they deserve some and maybe that will help move forward to.bigger tour model!

Oh I entirely agree but DCI is the corps and there's a "Who eats first" structure to the finances.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Occurred to me - how long before BDA wins DCI, with BDB as runner-up?   

If that happens we will need to change the ABBD acronym.  

If this was more than a tongue-in-cheek or rhetorical question, then I'll say never. BDB, by design, is comprised of 14-19 year-olds. This is not to say that talented 14-19 year-olds don't exist, but if you were to look at the average age of corps, you'd find that there's a pretty strong correlation between high average age and high placement.

Last time and only time an open class corp made final was Magic of Orlando. I think they took a year or two off and came back full strength but DCI rules was they had to complete only in open class that year before finals week. And finals week all open class corps were allowed to complete in world class prelim, semis etc 

Edited by DFA1970

Yeah, WC vs OC is an organizational designation, not an on-field one really.  WC means you get appearance money, priority in scheduling and housing, and access to a lot more support.  In return, you are guaranteeing you can handle appearing all over a national tour (30+ shows generally) during the 8-9 week season, that you have not only finances in place to cover that, but reserves at a certain level, that you're providing "world class" health and safety, meals, transportation and other member support, and that your committing to having a stake in the whole. 

I've been in the room - there just aren't any OC's currently that are built to handle that.  WC gets a lot, but in return they give a lot.  Crown spends more on health and safety staff alone than some OC's spend on food all summer.  OC places a lot more of the burden on each individual org, but also lets them tailor their tour experience way more to their liking.

Mike

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

In return, you are guaranteeing you can handle appearing all over a national tour (30+ shows generally) during the 8-9 week season, that you have not only finances in place to cover that, but reserves at a certain level, that you're providing "world class" health and safety, meals, transportation and other member support, and that your committing to having a stake in the whole. 

I've been in the room - there just aren't any OC's currently that are built to handle that. 

Concur with that, I know we have to really keep costs down as it is to be able to go to OC Championships and WC Prelims.  I can't imagine handling all of those things at the WC level. 

Except meals that is... (seeing as my wife manages the kitchen for the corps, they always get WC meals 😉).

Edited by kkrepps
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Last time and only time an open class corp made final was Magic of Orlando. I think they took a year or two off and came back full strength but DCI rules was they had to complete only in open class that year before finals week. And finals week all open class corps were allowed to complete in world class prelim, semis etc 

and really they were WC in every sense of the world. well til they flamed out for good a few years later

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and really they were WC in every sense of the world. well til they flamed out for good a few years later

Except financially.  Even when successful they were sacrificing the future to pay for the present.  To be fair, they definitely haven't been the only ones.

Mike

• Like 2