Saturday, July 30th .. 4:55 PM “DCI Southeastern Championship” …Center Parc Credit Union Stadium … Atlanta, GEORGIA

I can’t believe we’re doing this again tomorrow, phew. my poor bedtime

• Like 3

Seems like .2 could be made up with 2 weeks to go.

Like I have been saying for years,  with this judging system, who wins at finals depends on which judging panel shows up.  And that's it.  Period.  Why do you think the finals panel isn't released until very late in the season?   It's so corps can't  tailor their show all summer to that panel. (like used to happen in the past).  If a different panel was judging,  the result could be completely different for the same exact performances.   WGI winter percussion is the same.

When the finals panel is announced,  go back and look at the history of each judge and see what spread between BD and BAC he/she gave previously this season. More recent spreads carry more weight.   Plug those spreads into your own finals recap and that should tell you who will win. This is based on the theory that once a judge comes up with an opinion about a corps earlier in the season,  they don't tend to change it much for the rest of the season.  Simple.  Try it.  It's fun.  And it usually works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Like I have been saying for years,  with this judging system, who wins at finals depends on which judging panel shows up.  And that's it.  Period. 

You’re suuuuuuure the corps and their respective performances have nothing to do with it? Just feels like a pretty huge factor to me. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

You’re suuuuuuure the corps and their respective performances have nothing to do with it? Just feels like a pretty huge factor to me. 

Our emotional selves want to think that.  But our logical selves should realize that a corps performance factors in, but the judging panel is a bigger factor. If a judge already has an opinion about a corps,  they tend to keep that opinion unless there is a huge performance difference,  which isn't very likely at this level.

Once the finals panel is announced,  go back and look at  the history of those judges for BD compared with BAC at the same show,  and see what you come up with for a prediction.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Proud of BAC.

And glad they have an experienced staff that’s already had experience dealing with BD’s late-season growth spurts, because this where those teaching skills are reeeeeally gonna matter. They’ve poked the bear that’s for sure!

That bear has a long history of stepping it up when a challenger makes a run late season.  If BAC can pull it off, they will have earned it for sure. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

That bear has a long history of stepping it up when a challenger makes a run late season.  If BAC can pull it off, they will have earned it for sure. 

That's very true.  I can think of 1980 as an example.

I was at the SF Giants game - what did I miss?  I may really scroll through most of this thread….

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Our emotional selves want to think that.  But our logical selves should realize that a corps performance factors in, but the judging panel is a bigger factor. If a judge already has an opinion about a corps,  they tend to keep that opinion unless there is a huge performance difference,  which isn't very likely at this level.

Once the finals panel is announced,  go back and look at  the history of those judges for BD compared with BAC at the same show,  and see what you come up with for a prediction.

Do you have a comprehensive, objective and fact-based analysis on which to base this claim?  

If so, I’m sure we would all like to see it.  If not, I would suggest you may be the one placing emotion over logic.

• Like 3