Saturday, July 30th .. 4:55 PM “DCI Southeastern Championship” …Center Parc Credit Union Stadium … Atlanta, GEORGIA

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Hey @ThePlanets, not sure if you're referencing Cavies in your username, but in case you are, my mentor marched that show and had a featured guard solo in it! 😉

I do love that Cavies show! One of the best shows of the 90s! 

The reference is indirect as I just love to see Holst- especially Mars on the field. And the Cavies 95 just happens to be the best example of that!

• Like 1

Heading home now. 

Wow, those whacky judges...

Shows were all fun!  Chief Guns son rocked it!

I'm sorry, but the consensus around me was that the judges didn't know what they're doing, but the general placements were in the ballpark.

Now we have to drive home 10 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

MBS was booked and sold for the current concert going on right now before DCI could get. It's a possibility that it will be back there. 

But yeah the stadium is weird but it is what it is , and we have a show, which could've been rained out. So I'm not complaining.  

Yep you’re right. But it still sucks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The difference between the four GE judges is proof that GE is in the eyes of the judge. It’s like two different corps performed.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's exactly why DCI started doubling up the panels in the caption at big regionals; they totally understand the subjectivity of the caption, and are trying to have enough voices in the room that the judges can call what they see to their own tastes but the corps are protected, somewhat, by having a number that reflects the diversity of thoughts in the box.

Worth noting that the overall combined GE numbers for last night got it pretty much right. BD wins the caption (as they have most of the year) with a show that genuinely ticks off all the numbers. Boston does well in the caption with rock star execution, and CC and Bloo are within shooting distance of the top, but still not quite hitting the mark (Bluecoats' show shape is a problem, to my eyes, and Crown wastes a minute of show time on a cheesy non-effective opening).

Vanguard's placing where they should relative to the field, same with Cavaliers, who are suffering from whatever happened in the design room that left them without an organically developed final movement to their show. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Got it. 

Crown first in GE music, trailed by  Bloo and BD, isn’t so strange to me! They had a good night. BAC 4th is more of a headscratcher to me, but someone’s got to be fourth. 

BAC is technically sound....i feel there's more emotional pull they can get out of it. hopefully a return to the NE can get that oomph emotionally in there for them

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Vanguard's placing where they should relative to the field, same with Cavaliers, who are suffering from whatever happened in the design room that left them without an organically developed final movement to their show. 

I'm clearly too biased to agree here and at least one judge disagrees.

I guess the argument in your favor here is that fans and judges want more color, more flash from SCV to win over hearts and GE judges. But to hope for this is silly: big and flashy do not match the theme of the show at all. To so closely compare GE from say Bloo or Crown with SC is a big mistake. They are horses of a different color and I don't think they're being judged that way. SC is being judged like they aren't doing enough in the design room. That's just not true. I see the craft in their work whether others do or not.

I strongly believe that a new tag ending that brings together the whole GE for the rest of the show in a way that no other prop does for other corps should be getting more credit. Glad at least one judge could validate that. We'll see if this irons out a bit over time, sure hope so.

I just think the community is gobsmacked by the top 4 corps' flashy, in-your-face shows. This is a great thing for the activity and the community. We needed this. More power to them!

But you won't get that from SC this year. Theirs is an outlier show theme. Sadly, I think that's hurting them. And I hate it because it's exactly what the doctor ordered for this activity: a palette cleansing................

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

You know a show is outstanding when the Ayatollah sheds a tear at the end of it. 

Fanfriggintablous, Regiment. 

The more I hear that drum book, the more convinced I am that the late, great Marty Hurley wrote it from the grave. It's got All Hail Marty written all over it. 

It REALLY does. Someone posted a video yesterday (I think) of the full percussion book on The Tube Of You. It's so Hurley-esque I almost am looking for a slight turn in of the left hand in that classic east coast style. 

I will say, it's a little matchy-matchy but I think you could use the word "classic" is better suited. Give these cats (pit included) another year to gel and they will be flippin' awesome. I will also say that eyeball level rolls make me happy when they're p*** clean. 

Thank You PR. I LURVE YOU!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Bloo percussion 4th in content even though my adopted son the keytarist is a part of the percussion ensemble……….. Interesting. My attorneys will be in touch. 

welll.......Bloo's percussion hasn't been in the top 3 really since what 16? 17?

• Like 1

Not a fan of BAC soft ending. That’s just me. I do love loud in your face sustained endings. 

• Like 1