Saturday, July 30th .. 4:55 PM “DCI Southeastern Championship” …Center Parc Credit Union Stadium … Atlanta, GEORGIA

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

To be clear, what I am suggesting is that DCI still does not know how they define GE. When four judges, two weeks from finals, separate into two clear groups, and their scores are over half a point apart—that’s bad. And I don’t think that’s really arguable.

but it is. they are not all looking at the exact same thing at the exact same second as a show progresses.  some may have more guard background than drill. more brass than percussion. the sheet gives judges latitude to examine the show, and have criteria, that can allow the judge to go where they feel they need to be. and with using Competition Suite, the caption heads can go in and listen to any judges recordings within minutes of them being uploaded, and they do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

That’s not the point though.

Based on last night’s GE scores, what should Bluecoats do to change the show? No clue. Clearly four judges judged GE by two very different criteria. At a regional, two weeks from finals, that really should not happen.

yes, it can and should. 

13 hours ago, skevinp said:

Do you have a comprehensive, objective and fact-based analysis on which to base this claim?  

If so, I’m sure we would all like to see it.  If not, I would suggest you may be the one placing emotion over logic.

Sure,  I've done it a number of times.  I explained the fact based analysis in a previous reply.  It's not emotion, it's based on data (numbers).  Usually comes out pretty close to the final scores.  If you want to see it,  have fun and do it yourself.

26 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

1987 Star of Indiana literally had circus acts.

Then Blue Stars gave us a Side Show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Caught SCV’s new ending during the rebroadcast. Gorgeous

I think so too. There is a plethora of styles on display in DCI this season, imo. I'm glad I'm not a judge. I like the SCV Show. I think I know where it might fall a little short compared to corps above them this season, but nevertheless, I enjoy the subtle sophistication of this SCV show design this season, and the quiet, contemplative visual ending fits well their chosen theme, imo.

• Like 3

On a light note, I started thinking DCP needs to start up a peer-reviewed journal to disseminate empirical presentations analyzing show design, performance, and scoring, but then concluded if the peer reviewers were other DCP members, nothing would ever be cleared for publication. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1

Next day thoughts after attending in person:

• Concession line were ~ 100 people long all night 😞
  • Yay, the weather held out and we got the whole show in! 
  • BAC drum line, hands-down best of the night.
  • Great shows from all the corps, really. Blue Stars was the best I've ever seen them. BAC also the best show I've ever seen them do
  • So many great horn lines, it is insane.
  • With enough polish BAC could win, but BD cleans up better than anyone, so who knows. We all win because the kids and staff are pouring their hearts into this amazing activity
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Sure,  I've done it a number of times.  I explained the fact based analysis in a previous reply.  It's not emotion, it's based on data (numbers).  Usually comes out pretty close to the final scores.  If you want to see it,  have fun and do it yourself.

Uh huh