Marching experience of DCP members

DCI - 1 (Spirit of Atlanta 1996 snare rookout)

DCA - 4 (Music City Legend 2004-2007, lots of roles)

Marching Band - marched 10 seasons, taught/designed 30 years.

Indoor Drumline (WGI & Local circuit) - taught/designed 25 years.

Edited by Reed
  • Like 4

Just now, lawdn said:

I know this name because a dear friend played/marched at Snider and always had choice memories of Northrop!

Hah!  What years?  I'm still friends with Kevin Klee who was assistant at Northrop until my senior year and still is music director at my home church back in Indiana.  Snider was always a "friendly rivalry" with us vis a vis the rivalry with North Side.  I still remember the heartbreak of 86 when Snider missed state on a timing penalty.  That caused us issues at State finals that year because Ashton was super nervous about timing penalties as they'd called a directors meeting to review all of the rules before state finals.  He jumped the gun and instructed the DM to start the show before some of the field drum majors were done cleaning the opening set and we phased that opener badly.  

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Hah!  What years?  I'm still friends with Kevin Klee who was assistant at Northrop until my senior year and still is music director at my home church back in Indiana.  Snider was always a "friendly rivalry" with us vis a vis the rivalry with North Side.  I still remember the heartbreak of 86 when Snider missed state on a timing penalty.  That caused us issues at State finals that year because Ashton was super nervous about timing penalties as they'd called a directors meeting to review all of the rules before state finals.  He jumped the gun and instructed the DM to start the show before some of the field drum majors were done cleaning the opening set and we phased that opener badly.  

She graduated ‘82. Serious musician and really enjoyed marching band, so was one of my groupies when I was marching in college. I think she called Northrop “The Marching Billion” because the band was so big. 

Just now, lawdn said:

She graduated ‘82. Serious musician and really enjoyed marching band, so was one of my groupies when I was marching in college. I think she called Northrop “The Marching Billion” because the band was so big. 

Ha!  That was when my sister was marching. And yeah we were big. My sister's years were a bit bigger than mine but we'd have drill for 235 usually.  Snider had some great years through that too.  That would have been before Kevin's time there, but he carried on a strong music program there through all the changes in the Ft. Wayne band scene and school district funding issues.  

I don't think I was aware of the 'marching billion' name though. We'd always call Bishop Dwenger the "marching dozen" cause they were so small.  I was watching the Three Rivers Parade on TV with dad this year and Dwenger came through and I counted and there were literally. 12 marchers.  I was sad. 

All the money, and thus the band support has moved largely to Homestead and Carroll in Ft. Wayne now.  

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Or a color pre, or a timing gun, or a….well, you get the picture!

This is (for me), a military pass in review. At the end of boot camp graduations, all the new sailors would pass in review of the reviewing stand, followed at the end by the band.

We also did this when we performed at USMC Sunset Parades. 

• Like 3

9 years of DC.

• Like 2

3 years HS (tri-toms/snare/snare)
3 years DCI (Front Ensemble/Snare/Snare)
4 years college (Snare) National drumline champs 1 year 
At least 40 percussion books written for HS bands and 10 or so full band arrangements (including a completely original wind/perc book)
5 years judging perc for HS contests (+ some occasional extra shows)
At least 15 years directing various HS marching percussion programs 

• Like 1

There were two “rituals” that were a given BITD. (1) Trooping the stands, after the corps’ performance the corps passed in front of the stands in parade formation saluting the audience. (2) Marching off the field after scores were read. You honored the winning corps by playing to them and saluting them as you marched off the field. Sounds trite but it taught us how to show respect to those we competed against.

sorry if this is off topic.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Marched drum corps 64-72 = 9 years

Taught drum corps 76 and 77 = 2 years

Judged drum corps 77-80 plus two DCA shows in 90 = 5 years

Marched HS band 68-70 = 3 years

Marched college MB 73 = 1 year

Taught HS bands at every level from drum tech through band director 71-2017 = 47 years

Judged HS band shows 77-2005 = 29 years

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1