SCV trilogy that never was

10 hours ago, mfrontz said:

She improvised that line if I remember correctly 

Yup.  The timing of it was what made it so bizarre.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

That's so beautiful, @POSITIVenrgy thank you for sharing. Your son got the experience we all signed up for. In countless ways I did too and I wish I could have been around to see him perform. I'm sure he was spectacular. In devastating ways, my life was altered for the worse upon departing SC.

So many alum I've talked to reflect this sentiment. I'm just the one who's stepped forward and connected their personal name to their story. It's been corroborated and confirmed internally as well as by some other now-disconnected alum I marched with. I was contacted somewhat recently by yet ANOTHER alum who has hurt arguably worse than me, and then left with nothing. It is agonizing to know that treatment like mine is part of the legacy of SC before my time; it's worse to return to the drum corps community and discover yet more survivors since the time I marched.

And this is what I stress about this corps: Rockstar, life-changing experiences TOTALLY happen at this corps. I am an obvious beneficiary of this. My love for and respect for Myron runs so deep it hurts sometimes; but I didn't even get to celebrate his life with my drum corps "family." No one from the corps even told me he'd died. Because one wrong move, or in my case, no wrong moves and dumb luck, and this corps turned on people fast BITD. Turned on us in favor of more staff that hurt the MMs.

Some of us spent our time since we marched perfecting the very skills that would make us ideal staff across the SC organization. But when we contact other alum connected to the org much of the response has been underwhelming. I even helped build up a HS colorguard in SC's backyard, continually expressed my interest in being involved, to virtually deaf ears. I know of alum that have wanted to DONATE and are not met with open arms.

To anyone still reading this (I know I'm long-winded, can't help it!), I have tied my personal name to everything I've written on this forum and across platforms. I stand by everything I say. In my last contact with SC leadership, they left the door open for me to resume my application for a board position. The rest will remain private. Suffice to say my love for this corps runs deep, and that's why I have to speak out. It's what Myron would have wanted and it's something I do for the alum who can't.

And mods, dear mods, please know that I was technically around for some of the years that were brought up in this conversation. Apparently the only one on DCP that's willing to speak up at the moment. The  original topic was why shows in that era were scratched. I'd argue that my experience with the organization reflects challenges beyond my control (to which I would never speak) but that affected design and instruction at the corps. I only offer my truth in hopes that it can remain as part of this dialogue.

I do tend to idealize SCV, based solely on my son’s experience with them. We have them on a bit of a pedestal in our family. But these last years have definitely seen a reality check for DCI as numerous MMs have come forward with their stories. I do recognize that organizations and leadership can be seriously flawed. My heart goes out to you most sincerely. The hurt obviously runs deep and yet you remain fair and supportive. Hopefully in the future there will be resolution and closure for you. Meanwhile I am so glad you joined the DCP community. Your input, insight and analysis have been a pleasure to read! As well as your love and support for SC. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

IIRC, the 2008-09 offseason is when Fiedler came in (after taking a year off from running Cavies), and switching to Ballet for Martha was part of his house-cleaning/tone-setting (recall that's also when they reverted to the late-90's uniforms--and there was a rumor at one point that he wanted to go back to the 80s uniforms before being convinced that they were too old-school).

I remember Fiedler actually talking about this in an interview - he said they keep a spare of every uniform they've ever used, and that modern body movement did not look right at all on the "classic" SCV tunics, so they went with the 90's version as the next best thing.

Mike

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

I swear the original announcement wasn't 3hree, but they were going to do Nine, The Musical, which was big at the time.  Maybe age is catching up...

Mike

Edit: Answered my own question.  https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/149720-santa-clara-vanguard-2012/&do=findComment&comment=3135439

And I literally asked the same thing in that thread - what was the Clue rep? Ten years later, and no answer. That rep is my white whale...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kdaddy said:

And I literally asked the same thing in that thread - what was the Clue rep? Ten years later, and no answer. That rep is my white whale...

I don't remember them ever announcing it - just the pivot to Ballet for Martha.  

Mike

• Like 1