SCV trilogy that never was

27 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

My son marched tenors with Vanguard Cadets in 2008, and then with SCV in 09 and 10. Ballet for Martha has been my favorite show ever since, and I absolutely LOVED Bartok. SCV was my son’s dream corps and he was thrilled and honored to march with them until he aged out. I’m so sad to hear that anyone struggles with alumni issues. I don’t think my son ever has. SCV affected his life enormously. He has been a tenor tech with finalist corps ever since (as well as WGI). Still being involved with DCI gives him life. 

wow i love your son, excellent taste, stellar guy, the hero Gotham deserves

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

My son marched tenors with Vanguard Cadets in 2008, and then with SCV in 09 and 10. Ballet for Martha has been my favorite show ever since, and I absolutely LOVED Bartok. SCV was my son’s dream corps and he was thrilled and honored to march with them until he aged out. I’m so sad to hear that anyone struggles with alumni issues. I don’t think my son ever has. SCV affected his life enormously. He has been a tenor tech with finalist corps ever since (as well as WGI). Still being involved with DCI gives him life. 

That's so beautiful, @POSITIVenrgy thank you for sharing. Your son got the experience we all signed up for. In countless ways I did too and I wish I could have been around to see him perform. I'm sure he was spectacular. In devastating ways, my life was altered for the worse upon departing SC.

So many alum I've talked to reflect this sentiment. I'm just the one who's stepped forward and connected their personal name to their story. It's been corroborated and confirmed internally as well as by some other now-disconnected alum I marched with. I was contacted somewhat recently by yet ANOTHER alum who has hurt arguably worse than me, and then left with nothing. It is agonizing to know that treatment like mine is part of the legacy of SC before my time; it's worse to return to the drum corps community and discover yet more survivors since the time I marched.

And this is what I stress about this corps: Rockstar, life-changing experiences TOTALLY happen at this corps. I am an obvious beneficiary of this. My love for and respect for Myron runs so deep it hurts sometimes; but I didn't even get to celebrate his life with my drum corps "family." No one from the corps even told me he'd died. Because one wrong move, or in my case, no wrong moves and dumb luck, and this corps turned on people fast BITD. Turned on us in favor of more staff that hurt the MMs.

Some of us spent our time since we marched perfecting the very skills that would make us ideal staff across the SC organization. But when we contact other alum connected to the org much of the response has been underwhelming. I even helped build up a HS colorguard in SC's backyard, continually expressed my interest in being involved, to virtually deaf ears. I know of alum that have wanted to DONATE and are not met with open arms.

To anyone still reading this (I know I'm long-winded, can't help it!), I have tied my personal name to everything I've written on this forum and across platforms. I stand by everything I say. In my last contact with SC leadership, they left the door open for me to resume my application for a board position. The rest will remain private. Suffice to say my love for this corps runs deep, and that's why I have to speak out. It's what Myron would have wanted and it's something I do for the alum who can't.

And mods, dear mods, please know that I was technically around for some of the years that were brought up in this conversation. Apparently the only one on DCP that's willing to speak up at the moment. The  original topic was why shows in that era were scratched. I'd argue that my experience with the organization reflects challenges beyond my control (to which I would never speak) but that affected design and instruction at the corps. I only offer my truth in hopes that it can remain as part of this dialogue.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

2002 is EXTREMELY underrated - not in placement but in history. Hanson and the Copland organ symphony are iconic.

Why do I remember 2002 SCV as original music? Can't trust myself. 

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Why do I remember 2002 SCV as original music? Can't trust myself. 

The opener was a Gordon Henderson original, but the rest was 20th century American classical.

2006 was all original tho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Its the best.  THe first time I saw it with my friends in the theater the whole place just bust out laughing and missed like the full next scene.  

Then it we'd wait for it and hype up before it hit when watching it again in other theaters

She improvised that line if I remember correctly 

• Thanks 1

IIRC, the 2008-09 offseason is when Fiedler came in (after taking a year off from running Cavies), and switching to Ballet for Martha was part of his house-cleaning/tone-setting (recall that's also when they reverted to the late-90's uniforms--and there was a rumor at one point that he wanted to go back to the 80s uniforms before being convinced that they were too old-school).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ftwdrummer said:

IIRC, the 2008-09 offseason is when Fiedler came in (after taking a year off from running Cavies), and switching to Ballet for Martha was part of his house-cleaning/tone-setting (recall that's also when they reverted to the late-90's uniforms--and there was a rumor at one point that he wanted to go back to the 80s uniforms before being convinced that they were too old-school).

That's right, but it was between the 07/08 seasons, so that'd be the primary explanation for the change away from the previous plan for 2009.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:
4 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

🙂 I love that SCV decade…. 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003… let me stop before I just list every show.  

2002 is EXTREMELY underrated - not in placement but in history. Hanson and the Copland organ symphony are iconic.

Found a recording of 02 and loved it. Am I doing it right? 😁 Plates fo life.

JK, I remember seeing this one, but can't fully understand it with this copy of course.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Found a recording of 02 and loved it. Am I doing it right? 😁 Plates fo life.

JK, I remember seeing this one, but can't fully understand it with this copy of course.

wow, blast from the past. amazing ballad that year. and i’d forgotten that the opener silks had those straps, loved that. 

• Like 1