Tuesday, August 2nd “DCI Annapolis” Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium Annapolis, MARYLAND

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

All Boston needs is a favorable judge lineup.

BD is vulnerable in percussion. They're vulnerable in guard. They're vulnerable in brass.

The judges seem to love their GE, so that's in their favor.

Gold will be very close, closer than people think because of the nature of the end game of scoring. Gaps close at the top by design, regardless of performances.

I think we will learn just how close after prelims.

Bronze will clearly be Crown or Bloo. It will entirely depend on the judging corps for GE. If they get a favorable crew Bloo will win bronze; if not it will be Crown.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Is it possible for BD to lose brass, guard and drums. Absolutely. 

Maybe we have different definitions of vulnerable. Finishing top 2-3 in subcaptions to me isn't vulnerable. 

Finishing 5th in drums like 2008 is vulnerable. 

And even if they lose brass, guard and drums............how much are they losing by? 19.8 to 19.7, ok i can live with that. 19.8 to 19.2, Ok Houston we have a problem. 

We are speaking the same language my friend! 

Drums are very volatile this year. BD could end up in 4th or 5th on a given night, just as SCV has this season at a show or two.

Guard is more certain that BD will be top 3, but if that's tight, then it could end up being a wash for them.

Brass is certainly volatile too, and I've heard them live... They are not invincible. All it takes is an off night from them, and they could drop to 4th or 5th there too. Their high brass and baritones aren't yet perfect for sure...

BDs GE is going to be rewarded with the highest of numbers. It's just what the judges are looking for. If Boston or Crown, or even Bluecoats can get close enough to them in GE, the gap will close.

What amazes me is that BD is still ahead of the pack with that show. It's not their best show, and yet those visual abilities keep them at the top.  The judges love how the Blue Devils move.  Honestly, the judges has ALWAYS loved how they move, even before their legendary visual people came in, they were scoring very high there.

...but this show is not 2010 or 2014.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Just watched Annapolis replay.

I know this is wrong, but there really are not many huge iconic moments on the tour this year. The equivalent of the mellow sustain from SCV.

Maybe only one.

If it’s close, I really hope they give a medal to Bloo. The keytar solo is so unique, so fun, so not drum corps—and the kids are so into it now. It just feels right to see a keytar on a medal stage this season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

We are speaking the same language my friend! 

Drums are very volatile this year. BD could end up in 4th or 5th on a given night, just as SCV has this season at a show or two.

Guard is more certain that BD will be top 3, but if that's tight, then it could end up being a wash for them.

Brass is certainly volatile too, and I've heard them live... They are not invincible. All it takes is an off night from them, and they could drop to 4th or 5th there too. Their high brass and baritones aren't yet perfect for sure...

BDs GE is going to be rewarded with the highest of numbers. It's just what the judges are looking for. If Boston or Crown, or even Bluecoats can get close enough to them in GE, the gap will close.

What amazes me is that BD is still ahead of the pack with that show. It's not their best show, and yet those visual abilities keep them at the top.  The judges love how the Blue Devils move.  Honestly, the judges has ALWAYS loved how they move, even before their legendary visual people came in, they were scoring very high there.

I would argue that it's not that the judges love how BD moves, it's that nobody MOVES as well as BD, year in year out, with very, very few exceptions.  As a case in point, I brought a dear friend to the San Antonio show.  He's a world class dance performer, has performed on broadway, and leads 2 dance companies.  This was his first drum corps show.  As you would expect, he was not impressed at all with how well any guard moved (or how they were choreographed) outside the top 10. Then his impressions were more neutral to positive.  Until... Blue Devils.  He was thoroughly impressed with BD's movement, choreography, integration of the entire visual design, and even in (his own words) some insanely difficult movement from the guard, including a demanding arial move in almost perfect uniform that just floored him.  

I certainly agree this is NOT BD's best designed, most engaging show, but #### it's performed on another level visually.

Edited by TexasPRfan
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

....  The judges love how the Blue Devils move.  Honestly, the judges has ALWAYS loved how they move, even before their legendary visual people came in, they were scoring very high there.

This is true, even back in the 1970 everyone (inc judges) were blown away by how BD's drill was so smooth, and didn't rely on the standard dress & cover techniques in use at the time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

I would argue that it's not that the judges love how BD moves, it's that nobody MOVES as well as BD, year in year out, with very, very few exceptions.  As a case in point, I brought a dear friend to the San Antonio show.  He's a world class dance performer, has performed on broadway, and leads 2 dance companies.  This was his first drum corps show.  As you would expect, he was not impressed at all with how well any guard moved (or how they were choreographed) outside the top 10. Then his impressions were more neutral to positive.  Until... Blue Devils.  He was thoroughly impressed with BD's movement, choreography, integration of the entire visual design, and even in (his own words) some insanely difficult movement from the guard, including a demanding arial move in almost perfect uniform that just floored him.  

I certainly agree this is NOT BD's best designed, most engaging show, but #### it's performed on another level visually.

This is a nice story but clearly this person who saw a drum corps for the first time was attracted to what they know most.   How much does the same person know about flag , rifle and saber mechanics and technique?

it’s not dance troop it’s color guard 

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

This is a nice story but clearly this person who saw a drum corps for the first time was attracted to what they know most.   How much does the same person know about flag , rifle and saber mechanics and technique?

it’s not dance troop it’s color guard 

I understand your comments but over the years, I have found that the person who is a new spectator to to drum corps, is an excellent spectator judge, due in part to their omission of historical opinion and possible bias. Their opinions are always very telling and more often than not, right on the money! 

• Like 1

BD has had their captions be consistently at 3rd and above with few times where their subcaptions have had 4’s, brass, guard, percussion(maybe?) very few occasions where those have occurred. Without even looking too intensely at their average results, they have gotten the better of everyone in brass the most consistently, always a candidate in the race in percussion, clinching the top score on finals night 2019 is proof of that, not the case in guard though that year or this year for that matter as Boston has gotten the better of BD I believe most of the time in the scores The real chunks that are gonna matter in the placements are gonna be as to whether Boston can stay close, match up or even surpass BD in GE and the visual captions. Bluecoats are looking to be real disruptive to Boston in both of those captions if Boston’s not careful and further widen their margin to BD if that happens. BD, Crown, and Boston are contenders for the music caption, BD has had great fortune and returns in that caption so far often seen as what is lacking, they’ve beaten everybody so far this year in the overall score. Both Boston and BD could face disruption in the music caption from the next 3 corps, Crown in MA and Brass, and SCV in percussion. Bloo will be solid everywhere.
Long story short, BD have gotten the win in all these captions with Boston close behind them, disruption in captions could have the effect of widening the gap for Boston to BD more than potentially tightening the spread in their favor, so Boston will definitely have less room for error here

On 8/2/2022 at 8:28 PM, tedrick said:

Funky St. Louis Blues just does not give me a 50's jazz club bebop vibe - neither does Sing Sing Sing -- 

Only part of the show I wish they would have reconsidered...

I had the same feeling..Though I love Bocook's arrangement of Herbie Hancock's interpretation, this and Sing,Sing,Sing both pre date the 50's...Brubeck, Miles, Kenton, Monk etc. would probably have added to the vibe a bit more..Along with everyone wearing dark sun glasses. lol

• Like 1