Wednesday, August 3rd “DCI Glassboro” Richard Wackar Stadium at Rowan University Glassboro, NEW JERSEY

I was at Glassboro tonight. I have to be in Washington tomorrow afternoon. Rather than get up early and drive 8 hours, I decided to stop in Glassboro for the show. A few thoughts:

Rowan University is a nice venue. The line for the refreshments and port-a-Jon’s were pretty long at intermission, but that seemed to be the only glitch.

BAC did an impressive job. Everything was spot on. The precision of the guard was amazing, the music had an emotional pull. They pull a red cloth over Adam and Eve when they leave the garden which I was told is new (I didn’t see the more recent shows). 

The audience could not get enough of Bloo. Normally an electronic instrument like a keytar in drum corps would drive me bonkers, but that young man is so talented, he’s having so much fun, and the audience eats it up. You can’t help but love it. How no one has gotten hurt with some of the stunts in the show amazes me. 

Cadets had a strong run this evening. The narration sounded a bit different tonight. When I saw Cadets earlier in the season I don’t recall the narrator having the Lowell version of the Boston accent. Jack Kerouac hails from Lowell so it would be accurate.

I was surprised Blue Knights beat Crossmen. Blue Knights show struck me as very “Blue Knights” in style but the corps seems to lack enthusiasm. 

Troopers impressed me. Just as I normally wouldn’t like a keytar in drum corps, the same can be said about a cello, but this young woman is outstanding. I love the arrangement of “Ecstasy of Gold”

I thought Academy’s show was underscored this evening, though the pre show struck me as a bit silly. 

Surf’s feel good show pleased a responsive crowd. Maybe since Atlantic City is not too far from Glassboro, it had an even more authentic feel to it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Cadets had better find a bigger stadium for next years show. They could have sold a lot more tickets last night. 

I think surf was the sponsor?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I think surf was the sponsor?

As the sponsor, do they see more of the take at the gate?  or is it just that they might get concessions money as well?   I mean, a sold out show could be a financial shot in the arm for Surf! 

• Like 1