Pitch me your DCI show concepts.

I'm a very creative person and I love coming up with imaginary concepts for drum corps shows. I am far from the only person in this community that does that, so let's hear your ideas! I love reading people's imaginary show concepts and having people with more experience to bounce ideas off of.

My first concept is one I literally came up with an hour ago. I was listening to a podcast talk about the movie Scream, and that gave me an idea. A DCI show that is aware it is a DCI show and plays on your expectations of what we know about drum corps from all of the activity's history. If that sounds complicated, I've got some examples. I imagine somewhere towards the end of the show, all the horns will form a straight line while there's a soloist/duet, in the exact same position as Babylon. We hear the buildup and prepare our ears to be blasted off, but wait. There's no sounds coming from the horns. The drums are really jamming out though. What we expected to be the ballad turns into a high-energy dance break. Another idea I have is having a big space chord, which is going to turn into a major chord, right? They always do that, right? Nope. It just ends on an unresolved space chord (maybe with a little flourish or something from the pit.) We can even do something crazy like having the pit step away from their instruments for a couple minutes and having them actually march (sans instruments). Honestly, the sky's the limit with this one. I don't have any songs or titles in mind though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had one, but Blue Stars went and kinda did what I had in mind this year! more nuanced, neutral, and refined of course, field coverage from the ensemble, guard and all, props to them! I similarly had a napoleónic era, “Russian invasion” themed show idea in my head for a while now😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I had one, but Blue Stars went and kinda did what I had in mind this year! more nuanced, neutral, and refined of course, field coverage from the ensemble, guard and all, props to them! I similarly had a napoleónic era, “Russian invasion” themed show idea in my head for a while now😂

Ugh I feel that on a personal level. The worst possible outcome of pitching a concept is thinking it's original, then someone sending you a link to a show you've never seen before which turns out to be that exact concept

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Ugh I feel that on a personal level. The worst possible outcome of pitching a concept is thinking it's original, then someone sending you a link to a show you've never seen before which turns out to be that exact concept

Oh, I didn’t think it was original, I’m sure it’s been done before, but I still would hope to have its own identity and unique attributes with the musical selections I’d have for it, and even if I went safe with the 1812 overture as a piece selection, I’d have it “staged” in a different enough way to where it was different than other arrangements of a commonly played piece in marching band/drum corps haha

show idea kinda begins in the aftermath of the conquering of Moscow, by Napoleon and the French. Some of the brass and guard act as firefighters to begin the show, some of the guard are the fire themselves as they surround one of the main props with flaming red-yellow flags as St.Basil’s Cathedral represents Moscow burning as the Russians chose to let Moscow burn to cause fatigue and chaos within the French forces, the “scorched earth” policy. If I were to incorporate the 1812 overture, it’d be a faintly heard, “in the distance” slow rendition of the famous overture finale to begin the show, along with the part where the piece plays the French national Anthem, played rather crudely, but also reminding the French of the doom that awaits them. In the moment, it sounds like the Russians are mocking the French for their losses and struggles in what is at that point on, a lost cause. Safe to say it would be a pretty dark show, with a few comedic touches, I’d like to bring on a “Napoleon” character rife with his delusions of grandeur and victory peppered throughout, while his Grande Armée are being obliterated behind him by the Russian winter, and occasionally the Russian forces too, it could be to where it’s just the Winter so the show itself isn’t as *violent* but just as dark and dreary. Still haven’t gotten a whole music program or an ending for it all figured out, but I liked the premise of it!

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

I would love to see The Cavaliers do a show called Deus Ex Machina, maybe for a big anniversary coming up. It could be an all original music show and combine the feels of XtraordinarY and Machine. Dark, pushing the visual envelope, and very Cavaliers of new and old. It starts out with maybe the corps proper in the old guard uniforms from Machine and one by one we see the guard (dressed in green) break the corps out into something similar to their 2017/2018 uniforms but all black until a big GE reveal where the chest piece comes off and it's a green gear insignia (similar to Phantom's crests in 11 and 12). They set up to do a closing move like the run and jump from Samurai/XtraordinarY but then fake us out and do something even more insane. The show winds down, literally, as they have an ending similar to the ending of Machine where everyone halts. 

Maybe not fully developed concepts yet as far as props, costumes, etc, but I'd love to see Blue Devils do Hadestown (someone else mentioned that too, so I won't take full credit), Blue Stars do an ABBA show called Thank You For the Music, and someone (Colts maybe?) do Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill Broadway show. Also, ever since their respective 2019 shows, I've been wanting Bluecoats to do a Weezer show called The Bloo Album and Crossmen to just say "screw it, we're the rock corps now" and go full The Hu or Rammstein. 

• Like 2

No. No. and No again! Because every time I pitch a concept on here, the Blue Devils steal it!..So either PAY me or live without my next great idea..😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Oh, I didn’t think it was original, I’m sure it’s been done before, but I still would hope to have its own identity and unique attributes with the musical selections I’d have for it, and even if I went safe with the 1812 overture as a piece selection, I’d have it “staged” in a different enough way to where it was different than other arrangements of a commonly played piece in marching band/drum corps haha

show idea kinda begins in the aftermath of the conquering of Moscow, by Napoleon and the French. Some of the brass and guard act as firefighters to begin the show, some of the guard are the fire themselves as they surround one of the main props with flaming red-yellow flags as St.Basil’s Cathedral represents Moscow burning as the Russians chose to let Moscow burn to cause fatigue and chaos within the French forces, the “scorched earth” policy. If I were to incorporate the 1812 overture, it’d be a faintly heard, “in the distance” slow rendition of the famous overture finale to begin the show, along with the part where the piece plays the French national Anthem, played rather crudely, but also reminding the French of the doom that awaits them. In the moment, it sounds like the Russians are mocking the French for their losses and struggles in what is at that point on, a lost cause. Safe to say it would be a pretty dark show, with a few comedic touches, I’d like to bring on a “Napoleon” character rife with his delusions of grandeur and victory peppered throughout, while his Grande Armée are being obliterated behind him by the Russian winter, and occasionally the Russian forces too, it could be to where it’s just the Winter so the show itself isn’t as *violent* but just as dark and dreary. Still haven’t gotten a whole music program or an ending for it all figured out, but I liked the premise of it!

1812 fits with a V for Vendetta theme. Don't know how well a show themed after a movie/comic about an out of control government taking away rights supposedly over a virus would sit right now though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We did this before actually.  Some fun Ideas here!

• Like 1

Found the other thread too wherein I pitched the Prince show that will never happen.