Pitch me your DCI show concepts.

"Fractal Geometry"

A concept I came up with as a precocious junior in HS. Basically, just a show inspired by fractals. Plenty of kaleidescoping drill possibilities, forms that repeat and turn in on themselves. 

"Metropolis"

People have probably done this in WGI? A show inspired/based on the legendary 1927 sci-fi epic silent film "Metropolis." The imagery in the film is striking and powerful almost 100 years later. Imagine bringing to life a story about a magnificent, decadent art deco city, and the nightmarish dystopian workers' city below, whose exploitation sustains the titual city above. Since it is a black and white film, I imagine the corps in grayscale uniforms. There are so many cool things you could do with the guard costuming (though not a full "machine-man" suit because they would probably die of heat stroke)

medium_2016_0343__0002_.jpgopfg7jy56pv81.jpg?auto=webp&s=2aa4d2a400461c2045c8ec6733a90353ca79f737

The film involves the character of Maria having her life force (or something) transfered into the robot. The film explores the idea of man becoming machine and vice versa.  I'm imaging the guard with makeup or some sort of mask, so that one half looks like a silver robot. 

The film and its posters have so much amazing Art Deco and/or Expressionist imagery, I'm sure people who are much more talented than me could do something cool with it.

MV5BMTg5YWIyMWUtZDY5My00Zjc1LTljOTctYmI0MWRmY2M2NmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I think the original score for the film is pretty neat 

Just remembered that a big part of SCV's 2018 "Babylon" was a piece called "Metropolis 1927." This proves that the idea is good lol

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, FTNK said:

"Fractal Geometry"

A concept I came up with as a precocious junior in HS. Basically, just a show inspired by fractals. Plenty of kaleidescoping drill possibilities, forms that repeat and turn in on themselves. 

"Metropolis"

People have probably done this in WGI? A show inspired/based on the legendary 1927 sci-fi epic silent film "Metropolis." The imagery in the film is striking and powerful almost 100 years later. Imagine bringing to life a story about a magnificent, decadent art deco city, and the nightmarish dystopian workers' city below, whose exploitation sustains the titual city above. Since it is a black and white film, I imagine the corps in grayscale uniforms. There are so many cool things you could do with the guard costuming (though not a full "machine-man" suit because they would probably die of heat stroke)

medium_2016_0343__0002_.jpgopfg7jy56pv81.jpg?auto=webp&s=2aa4d2a400461c2045c8ec6733a90353ca79f737

The film involves the character of Maria having her life force (or something) transfered into the robot. The film explores the idea of man becoming machine and vice versa.  I'm imaging the guard with makeup or some sort of mask, so that one half looks like a silver robot. 

The film and its posters have so much amazing Art Deco and/or Expressionist imagery, I'm sure people who are much more talented than me could do something cool with it.

MV5BMTg5YWIyMWUtZDY5My00Zjc1LTljOTctYmI0MWRmY2M2NmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I think the original score for the film is pretty neat 

Just remembered that a big part of SCV's 2018 "Babylon" was a piece called "Metropolis 1927." This proves that the idea is good lol

Metropolis. See The Bluecoats 2010. Great show!

4 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Metropolis. See The Bluecoats 2010. Great show!

Thanks! I've been out of the country on and off for the last 12 or so summers, so there are some years (2010, 2011, 2012, 2016) that are just a blank for me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Ugh I feel that on a personal level. The worst possible outcome of pitching a concept is thinking it's original, then someone sending you a link to a show you've never seen before which turns out to be that exact concept

You might instead take it as validation that you’re coming up with good ideas! Keep it up!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Stockholm Syndrome: Heavy metal fan hates ABBA.  Job (or something) requires them to move to Stockholm, where, of course, all the music is ABBA.  After a torturous dream (ABBA in a minor key), they wake up and now love ABBA. 

"...here we go again...how can I forget you?"

This could be fun too where we end up with a heavy metal arrangement of Mama Mia as a headbanger anthem. 

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Continental said:

A conversation in another thread had me wondering how cool it would have been if Cavie's had done a show called "Soylent Green Machine" - where the guard disappears at the end because.....

Dark.  I like it. 

Disappear them into a giant soda can prop.   😂

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 1

Sleep.

Act 1: Drifting off

Act 2: Dream that starts off innocently and turns into a nightmare.

Act 3: Wake up and realize it was all a dream

There are common ideas here like wearing pajamas in a public place, falling, showing up at a class for a test you never studied for

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1