Pitch me your DCI show concepts.

Show:  Terrapin Station: The Music of the Grateful Dead

Somebody please let me know if this has already been done. I'm not aware if it has. This show would write itself. Some much great music.

Dead songs I'd love to hear on the field:

Estimated Prophet

U.S. Blues

Alabama Getaway

Uncle John's Band

Friend of the Devil

Picasso Moon

Hell in a Bucket

Dark Star

China Cat Sunflower / I Know You Rider

Scarlet Begonias

Truckin'

Terrapin Station

I Need a Miracle 

and of course- Drums in Space percussion feature.

Visual: recreate a Dead show. Everyone in Tie-dye. Somebody selling veggie burritoes (and miracles.)

19 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Troopers kinda tried to do a steampunk show in 2012. It didn't really work.

For Troopers how about: There's Gold in Them Thar Hills. 

Although there is a danger in basing all your shows on resource extraction - at some point all that will be left is a show entitled 'Think Zinc'.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:53 AM, LuvsPAisTe said:

Show:  Terrapin Station: The Music of the Grateful Dead

Somebody please let me know if this has already been done. I'm not aware if it has. This show would write itself. Some much great music.

Dead songs I'd love to hear on the field:

Estimated Prophet

U.S. Blues

Alabama Getaway

Uncle John's Band

Friend of the Devil

Picasso Moon

Hell in a Bucket

Dark Star

China Cat Sunflower / I Know You Rider

Scarlet Begonias

Truckin'

Terrapin Station

I Need a Miracle 

and of course- Drums in Space percussion feature.

Visual: recreate a Dead show. Everyone in Tie-dye. Somebody selling veggie burritoes (and miracles.)

In grad school one of our post-docs was a serious Grateful Dead fan, so I get the appeal of a Dead show.  The Dead were famous for not having a set playlist at their concerts, just playing whatever song they felt like.  Would be cool if somehow a Corps could do same, although Crossmen tried something like this & it didn't work well.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

21 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Here is an idea:  1st half of show Corps plays what sounds like original music. Half way through they reverse, play the notes in opposite order, this revealing what the song is; the drill is the first-half done in opposite order as well - they would end where they started.  
Something like Channel One Suite, or Rhapsody in Blue or other classic Drum Corps tune would be good to use. 

The David Lynch design of a Drum corps music book.  

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In grad school one of our post-docs was a serious Grateful Dead fan, so I get the appeal of a Dead show.  The dead were famous for not having a set playlist at their concerts, just playing whatever song they felt like.  Would be cool if somehow a Corps could do same, although Crossmen tried something like this & it didn't work well.

ugh i wish corps repeated their old songs sometimes😩 i would camp out in a tent at the front of the stadium entrance for a couple days just to hear my favorite 2010s shows live

Here's one I actually arranged and wrote out years ago..."An Ode to Ahnold."  Music was from Arnold Scwatzenegger films.

Opener:  Combo of "Anvil of Crom/Riders of Taramis" from Conan: the Barbarian.
Middle:  "Astoria School Theme" from Kindergarten Cop
Closer:  "Terminator Suite" (from Terminator "Love Theme" and the perc feature "Tunnel Chase" segueing into the main theme from Terminator 2).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Perhaps a show based on the art and philosophy of Bob Ross. 

Execution scores would be perfect because there would be no mistakes, just happy accidents.  

Line the back field with happy little trees.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Perhaps a show based on the art and philosophy of Bob Ross. 

Execution scores would be perfect because there would be no mistakes, just happy accidents.  

So the show with the MOST tics wins??

• Haha 2

"Kiai"

An asian-themed show where guard utilizes flags, bo staff, sabers like swords, fans (flipping fans is awesome), etc to further bring in the kata/martial art theme.  Those who know martial arts and drum corps could probably envision this with me.