Changes, better or worse?

I'm old school Drum Corp, guess thats a good start. I understand the World be a changin, and sometimes change is good. I'm wondering if it is good pertaining to DCI. Let me explain. To me, and I started back in the 50s following my dad and the later in the 70s transfering from being a DC Nut to a DC player, The Corp was about that military look ! And I applaud the Corps that have stuck to that and feel sad when I see the Corps that have not. Yes, DCI has leaned toward the "Theatrical Side" but I feel it was too hard of a lean. When I watch a DCI show I don't feel as though I need to hear a voice or voices explaining the theme of the story taking place on the field, Music is its own voice, let MY eyes, ears and mind take me on that journey not a voice. And the losing of the Shakos and Hats so we can see the performers face? Come on, the entire point of military style marching is that it looks like one entity, one constant  moving piece. And guitars and keyboards? I'm sorry but this has absolutely no place in DCI, they are called Drum and Bugel Corps for a reason folks. Look, I can except the change of uniform material, I can except the stage props on the field, all part of theater and they are enjoyable. I wonder what the 1934 Marine Drum and Bugel Corps would have thought if they seen keys and guitars? Lol. Yes, Times be a changin, and drum corp changes too. Has it changed for the better? NOPE, and I'm not alone on this, not at all. So many people I talk with after shows are not taking these changes well at all, some are even saying they won't return to watch any longer, I'm not one of those, I LOVE DCI and I'm not going to bail over changes, but I sure do miss the days of the old style corps and I'm not talking 50 years ago, I'm talking like 2005, So to all you directors that are still keeping your Corps music message in the hands of the brass and battery and leaving those Shakos on the heads of your players........Gods Speed and I hope you bring home a ton of Championship. 

Ultimately the activity needs to change  and keep challenging the kiddos involved in the activity.   For example "old school" color guard would just not be a challenge for them...there was a time when Flags were not tossed in the air and you gasped when a rifle threw a triple.

Just like with drill designs and the 50 yard line no longer being a focus point.  Believe me.. I remember my first show at Legion Field as fan.

As fans, spectators it should be enough that we are seeing the kiddos put their hearts on the field and not be critical of progress, change or evolution (whatever you want to call it).   The same thing happened to WGI and winterguard.   If you are not impressed and entertained by what those kids are doing now... you're not really there to enjoy it anyway.

40, 30, 20, 10... years ago what did this activity have to compete with for summer activities, as well as places students could go to hone their craft?  

I challenge you to think about all the sports and other activities that were not accessible to many (arts camps, theatre workshops, ballet, hockey, wilderness survival, quidditch, crypto mining, bootlegging...whatever)  and what youth wanted to do that summer at each of the decades ago.  Compared to drum corps.    

And then also think about the myriad of things they don't have to leave their home to do.  My nephews have so many options to entertain themselves in their own backyard that they don't have to leave their property due to a wifi connection, an ipad, and some interest in (see any of those activities listed above... save for bootlegging). 

Options now are plenty for activities and entertainment, that unless innovation happens, the activity will not survive it.  Plenty of arts orgs (theatre, dance, opera, concerts) are all finding that they need to provide more entertainment per ticket dollar spent than each year before because you dont even need to leave your house to watch live theatre.  Broadway HD, Disney+, and a myriad of other aps bring it to you. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 7:46 AM, mr drums said:

I'm old school Drum Corp, guess thats a good start. I understand the World be a changin, and sometimes change is good. I'm wondering if it is good pertaining to DCI. Let me explain. To me, and I started back in the 50s following my dad and the later in the 70s transfering from being a DC Nut to a DC player, The Corp was about that military look ! And I applaud the Corps that have stuck to that and feel sad when I see the Corps that have not. Yes, DCI has leaned toward the "Theatrical Side" but I feel it was too hard of a lean. When I watch a DCI show I don't feel as though I need to hear a voice or voices explaining the theme of the story taking place on the field, Music is its own voice, let MY eyes, ears and mind take me on that journey not a voice. And the losing of the Shakos and Hats so we can see the performers face? Come on, the entire point of military style marching is that it looks like one entity, one constant  moving piece. And guitars and keyboards? I'm sorry but this has absolutely no place in DCI, they are called Drum and Bugel Corps for a reason folks. Look, I can except the change of uniform material, I can except the stage props on the field, all part of theater and they are enjoyable. I wonder what the 1934 Marine Drum and Bugel Corps would have thought if they seen keys and guitars? Lol. Yes, Times be a changin, and drum corp changes too. Has it changed for the better? NOPE, and I'm not alone on this, not at all. So many people I talk with after shows are not taking these changes well at all, some are even saying they won't return to watch any longer, I'm not one of those, I LOVE DCI and I'm not going to bail over changes, but I sure do miss the days of the old style corps and I'm not talking 50 years ago, I'm talking like 2005, So to all you directors that are still keeping your Corps music message in the hands of the brass and battery and leaving those Shakos on the heads of your players........Gods Speed and I hope you bring home a ton of Championship. 

mr drums: I am in your corner, and cut from the same cloth.  I marched from 1965-1972. Several of those years our Corps featured 7-8 pretty "Hot" crowd pleasing, short skirted, White tassel Booted Baton Twirlers and a Majorette.  The 75-MM Corps debuted its first Flag Line in the 1971 at the Miss America Pageant Parade in Atlantic City, representing Massachusetts. Typical for the times,  our Corps had NO NEED for A Pit, Props, Amplification, Narration, 10-14 minutes to enter set-up/tear down and exit the field of performance,  We traveled with: No Food or Equipment Trailer, not even a small box truck, everything needed had to fit within or below the two hired Bus Coaches. Oh, the Corps didn't even carry of podium, LOL.

I extend my Best Wishes, to Every Corps and Marching Member, for a completely "Whole-some", Covid Free, Competitive, Memorable and Successful "Once in a Lifetime," DCI 50th Anniversary Celebration. May you attain your Personal Best and all Corps experience its highest performance.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE: GO ACADEMY! CELEBRATE, ENJOY AND LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD! SO YOUR SUPPORTIVE AND GENEROUS OVATION APPRECIATIVE FANS CAN EAT UP WITH DELIGHT, the Oompa-Loompas Confectionist Creation of Your Imagination.  YUMMY!

• Like 1