ALLENTOWN FRIDAY PREDICTION AND ODDS OF A RAIN DELAY

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I went in 2014 and Saturday was a nicer day than Friday. I think there was a rain delay Friday and then, the weather was good the rest of the night.  I seem to recall Saturday had a little rain but then it was a very nice night.

I was there in 1984 when they had a helicopter flying by to dry out the field.  That was a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.  😂 

Are you going to Indy?

2 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

How about a BAC BD tie going into Indy?  Intriguing!!!

You know if BD wins by just a couple of tenths that will be very exciting. BAC doesn’t have to win just yet.:still time .  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

86 finals got washed out. 87 DCA a monsoon...99 too, but they managed to get the show in. 87 prelims had a lot of rain, a lot of mud where there used to be grass after 23 corps...and finals wiped out.

93 rained on Cavies...04 i think Glassmen? I know 11 rained on and off a little on Saturday...and of course Friday in 18. i can't remember them all. 

Since you have a lot of experience there Jeff does Allentown have a specific ordinance of how long the show  can go?
in 2004 when it dumped on the Glassmen , delay  was at least a 90 minute delay another 45 minute delay to let the corps warm up and then they continued with the show went  up to close to midnight f memory serves 

Off topic a little, but why does Allentown split it over two days?  And will the judges be the same for both days to offer some comparison of corp performance?

I remember when Allentown wasn't just one event, it was a double show all in one day. There would be a prelims starting at like 9:00am where all 20something corps would perform, and the top 12 would come back after dinner for the Finals and perform again. No kidding it was like 14 hours of drum corps with just a couple meal breaks.

Back then a lot of folks would drive to the park the night before and camp out either in tents or their vehicles. We'd wake up to the sound of drumlines warming up all around us. We'd grab some breakfast at the diner then wander into the stadium. We'd watch shows all morning, then head to Yocco's for a hot dog lunch. More corps all afternoon, a dinner break, and then Finals until like 11:00 at night, followed by a full retreat. Those days are gone, but Allentown will always be a magical place for drum corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Off topic a little, but why does Allentown split it over two days?  And will the judges be the same for both days to offer some comparison of corp performance?

Same slate of judges both days. The two day show is considered to be a single event.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Allentown is a throw back. Similar to the old US Open in Marion, OH, Allentown is vintage drum corps. Tons of corps and a down-home, community event.  I have always enjoyed Allentown as much for the community atmosphere as much as the show itself  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spacewill said:

42 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

I remember when Allentown wasn't just one event, it was a double show all in one day. There would be a prelims starting at like 9:00am where all 20something corps would perform, and the top 12 would come back after dinner for the Finals and perform again. No kidding it was like 14 hours of drum corps with just a couple meal breaks.

Back then a lot of folks would drive to the park the night before and camp out either in tents or their vehicles. We'd wake up to the sound of drumlines warming up all around us. We'd grab some breakfast at the diner then wander into the stadium. We'd watch shows all morning, then head to Yocco's for a hot dog lunch. More corps all afternoon, a dinner break, and then Finals until like 11:00 at night, followed by a full retreat. Those days are gone, but Allentown will always be a magical place for drum corps.

11 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Allentown is a throw back. Similar to the old US Open in Marion, OH, Allentown is vintage drum corps. Tons of corps and a down-home, community event.  I have always enjoyed Allentown as much for the community atmosphere as much as the show itself  

A little Allentown lore...

The first DCI East Championship in Allentown was held on July 8th and 9th of 1977. It had been held before in Lowell, Massachusetts, but due a scheduling conflict in 77', the event was moved to Allentown. The rest is history!

That year of the first two day event included 28 corps in competition. Of those corps, only five still exist today; Boston Crusaders, Garfield (The Cadets), Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, and the Crossmen.

• Like 3