The "INTERNATIONAL" part of DCI.

it used to be fun to go to shows up in Canada -

Will Canada customs relax a bit and start allowing drum corps to cross over and perform a show and then return to the US?

I came across this interesting article recently about the point of view of the activity up in Canada - they were saying that they needed to start their own Canada-only circuit and bring Canadian drum corps back - with no intention of participating in the US

3 hours ago, tedrick said:

- they were saying that they needed to start their own Canada-only circuit and bring Canadian drum corps back - with no intention of participating in the US

I think this actually makes sense.  The biggest challenge is the cost of touring.   A regional circuit for new corps would be more feasible financially.

On 8/4/2022 at 6:50 PM, tedrick said:

it used to be fun to go to shows up in Canada -

Will Canada customs relax a bit and start allowing drum corps to cross over and perform a show and then return to the US?

I came across this interesting article recently about the point of view of the activity up in Canada - they were saying that they needed to start their own Canada-only circuit and bring Canadian drum corps back - with no intention of participating in the US

Canadian would be corps have a major problem of few to zero marching music programs, and not a lot of great music push for performers to do this activity. 

hence the big reason many folded. No customers to sell tuition to. 

On 8/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, Rudy Wiedoeft said:

I just figured out where they get the "INTERNATIONAL" part of DCI.

It is in the British accents on the recorded narration during several 2022 corps shows.

The "International" part of DCI actually came from the Director of De La Salle Oaklands from Toronto, who were an original associate member.

Edited by Opti-Burr

I would like to see the Calgary Stampede Showband turn into the Calgary Stampede Drum Corps by going all brass. They were founded in 1971 and are fully funded by the Calgary Stampede. I found this article about their financial situation that some might find interesting.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-stampede-money-corporate-structure-foundation-1.4735486

Edited by Opti-Burr

the thing with that is stampede is linked to the other 2 bands of calgary which function as marching bands; calgary round up band (grade 7-9), calgary stetsons showband (grade 10-12) and stampede showband (age 16-21). as much as i very badly want another drum corps in calgary (especially considering many of the instructors did march allegiance elite) it likely could not be showband as cutting off the woodwinds would really shaft them in terms of potential future marching experiences. I did hear that our lady of the rockies marching band (formerly known as grandin marching ghosts) did try to become a drum corps sometime in the mid 2010s but it fell through due to reasons i have no knowledge of (but i feel it might have something to do with the logistics of it)
(sorry for poor grammar im sleep deprived)