No More Video Recordings?

33 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

most rights for licensing arent actually owned by the artists. it's the Tresona's of the world

Yes - the whole ‘Licensing’ world actually is in an alternate universe where stuff doesn’t work the way that makes sense under the logic of our universe.   

• Like 1

I am hopeful that BD will produce their own finals video.  They have such a great production team, and have released pieces of their shows in the BD360 videos, so i think they must have those copyrights?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

BUT, for all the people complaining about greedy record labels, just stop. The artists that wrote those songs have that right. They wrote it. If I wrote a song, I certainly wouldn’t allow an organization like DCI to keep 100% of the profits from my intellectual property. 

It stopped being "intellectual property" a long time ago.  Music licensing was intended to enable composers/artists to enjoy the fruits of their labor.  You know, the people who actually had the intellect.  Now, it is being extended to multiple generations of their heirs, record companies, and other entities who have no such intellect.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

If you have the rights to sell the audio, you can sell the video

I’m sorry, but this is not accurate.  I wish it was that way, as does DCI, BOA, and every other marching circuit in the world. Audio requires one type of license, video a totally different type.  Audio is MUCH cheaper…for example, in 2019 the Crossmen full show was on the CDs.  However, the bluray had the Led Zeppelin section cut out due to the cost of the video license that DCI could not afford, or it may have been that LZ or their record company forbids video rights for that tune.  The whole licensing thing is a beast and difficult to navigate.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

But they don’t put them in Honda cars anymore.  Period.  It wasn’t an option.

Look it up. 

I figured. The Wife's 2018 CRV doesn't have one, but does let you connect your phone to the display screen and use apps from the phone -- maps, music, text, etc. 

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CrownBariDad said:

I figured. The Wife's CRV doesn't have one, but does let you connect your phone to the display screen and use apps from the phone -- maps, music, text, etc. 

I listen to iHeart radio all the time on CarPlay. But I have a case full of CDs from the last car that are useless.  Oh well.  There’s a navigation app I paid extra for from Honda that I connect to from my iPhone, too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I listen to iHeart radio all the time on CarPlay. But I have a case full of CDs from the last car that are useless.  Oh well.  There’s a navigation app I paid extra for from Honda that I connect to from my iPhone, too.

It used to be that you could load CDs into your phone using iTunes (I know -- talking only Apple here), but I haven't tried that in a long time. And of course, using physical CDs means not using up storage space on your phone.

The Wife, too, had her case of travel music. There was a huge section on Christmas songs if we were on a road trip for the holidays. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes - the whole ‘Licensing’ world actually is in an alternate universe where stuff doesn’t work the way that makes sense under the logic of our universe.   

And they’re very connected to good lobbyists 

32 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I figured. The Wife's 2018 CRV doesn't have one, but does let you connect your phone to the display screen and use apps from the phone -- maps, music, text, etc. 

I remember bringing drum corps CDs with me while travelling/renting a car and constantly leaving a CD in the slot when I returned the car.  I'm sure the reaction of some who turned on the radio was close to “WTF am I listening to?”

• Haha 4