No More Video Recordings?

1 minute ago, over60 said:

Now that everyone knows DCI will not be selling videos anymore, including digital files, how many people in the stands will now completely ignore the warning given by DCI at every show about fans not making any audio or video recordings? ("It's the law".) Is there any way to physically stop people from doing this?

I suggest people who will be recording performances from now on begin wearing disguises since we all know that there are video surveillance cameras literally everywhere. Just sayin'.

I will admit that i am actually counting on it!  And that is coming from someone who, in the past, always paid for my dci media, and would be happy to do it again!  I am not trying to rip anyone off… i just want to be able to rewatch the shows. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just don’t know what to do with all these CDs.  I moved on with technology but the stuff you’re left with…albums, cassettes, vhs tapes, dvds, cds…. I got rid of a bunch of it when we moved but I still have some in the 3rd bedroom tv console…just sitting there waiting for me to die and someone will have to get rid of my junk. 

Do you have iTunes? There’s a surprisingly little-advertised service called iTunes Match that lets you upload your music collection to iTunes and have it in the cloud with you forever, for a low yearly fee. Lets you access it from all your devices and everything.  Basically, all you do is put the CD in your computer, it opens in iTunes, “burn” it onto your hard drive, and it saves it in your permanent library. Then you can delete the native file on your computer, since it’s in the cloud  

I signed up some years ago and it changed my life (and saved me space) — uploaded hundreds of my and my mom’s CDs and never looked back. Even spent a whole winter break during college uploading my mom’s Motown and Jazz collections 😭life saver

• Like 2

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

Do you have iTunes? There’s a surprisingly little-advertised service called iTunes Match that lets you upload your music collection to iTunes and have it in the cloud with you forever, for a low yearly fee. Lets you access it from all your devices and everything.  Basically, all you do is put the CD in your computer, it opens in iTunes, “burn” it onto your hard drive, and it saves it in your permanent library. Then you can delete the native file on your computer, since it’s in the cloud  

I signed up some years ago and it changed my life (and saved me space) — uploaded hundreds of my and my mom’s CDs and never looked back. Even spent a whole winter break during college uploading my mom’s Motown and Jazz collections 😭life saver

I have iTunes.  I only use apple products.  Sounds like a lot of effort.  Maybe Jim will do it for me. 😂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have iTunes.  I only use apple products.  Sounds like a lot of effort.  Maybe Jim will do it for me. 😂 

definitely outsource this labor (my mom, who has thousands of CDs, made me set hers up lol) 

although it also winds up being fun! reconnected with a ton of music that way.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

definitely outsource this labor (my mom, who has thousands of CDs, made me set hers up lol) 

although it also winds up being fun! reconnected with a ton of music that way.  

I did something similar, since I've got a ton of storage on my phone. It's a great way to discover those gems from long ago. 

• Like 1

I would highly recommend if you have any VHS tapes, film or DVDs that you would like to hold onto, to keep both a digital and a physical copy. Recently I have been working on digitizing my family's VHS and MiniDV tapes over the years. After capturing the video from it's existing medium, I am digitizing and providing them with a digital copy (on a flash drive), DVD copies, as well as access to my media server in my house which has copies of them, where they can also stream the videos at any time. That way there are a few copies in existing and in multiple formats.

Anyways, be sure that you have copies in multiple formats and if possible, in multiple locations. It's not hard to do, just buy a USB or an external hard drive (preferably SSD) and give a second one to a friend or family member and buy a $30 external DVD drive for your computer and burn a few DVD-Rs with the footage on there.

If anyone needs help on how to get things digitized, send me a DM and I'll help out!

• Like 1

I just thought of a perfect disguise for people in the stands, although the ladies might not be too enamered.
Imagine if you're a performer and look at the audience and see the stands full of Groucho's!

staff-photo-by-shawn-patrick-ouellette-s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I am hopeful that BD will produce their own finals video.  They have such a great production team, and have released pieces of their shows in the BD360 videos, so i think they must have those copyrights?

They already had a full version of their show up after their first show. BD is way too competent of an organization to not have secured full rights prior to the beginning of the season. Flo, on the other hand… 

• Like 1

Honestly, I think DCI is missing out on an opportunity.  

Yes, I would love for them to to produce the annual CD and Blu-ray/DVD disc, but I understand the demand is not there.  I have all the Championship CDs going back to the first in 1988.  

But, with the interest and demand for Albums, I guarantee Drum Corp "Vinyl" would sell out!   

On 8/4/2022 at 8:30 PM, DWW11 said:

I don’t get why they can secure rights for audio recordings but not video?

Once you put video and music together, it becomes a different animal from a rights standpoint ("sync rights"), and without knowing that there are significant consumer dollars out there for the physical product (which there was 20 years ago in the DVD heyday, but not now), they can't risk the time and effort to bother negotiating that.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1