No More Video Recordings?

I don’t get why they can secure rights for audio recordings but not video?

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

This is what happens as corps want to play newer music and todays artists are greedy. They’ve found ways to nickle and dime money out of people without actually having to work. (Sorry, I still believe in artists having to go out and tour to make money) 

That being said, there is simply no way DCI can keep up with licensure and fees. It’s way too time consuming and expensive. 

I don't blame today's artists.  I blame today's CONSUMERS who (many/most) want their music for FREE. When the consumers stopped buying records, tapes, CDs the artists were forced to look at locking some things down.  Where do I go now to listen to music or watch concerts...I usually search YouTube.

It's tough being a professional artist today.  Just ask Bruce Springsteen and his $4000 tickets 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

Audio rights are much cheaper to get than sync rights for video…something to do with laws that were passed years ago that made getting audio rights cheap and easier to obtain.  I truly wish the video rights would go that route too, but there would need to be a lot of lobbying to get the laws changed, and the big companies handling those rights would fight hard probably to NOT allow that to happen.  All about the money…

I honestly think any of the DCI fans over 35 will be shocked and sad to see the physical media go…the fans under 35 will not even care (I know not all, but most).  They are the streaming, YouTube, Spotify crowd that don’t buy physical media.  My own kids crack up at all the physical media I have.  They just don’t understand…they ask why?? 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, over60 said:

So I did some research online and it appears that the DVD/CD formats are being phased out, quickly. The current younger generation is only interested in digital audio/video files they can download to their phones/TVs/computers. They are not buying DVD players. Therefore, the manufacturers of DVD/CD players are getting out of the business, or at least scaling back which will reduce supply and raise prices and this is not good news

Dedicated DVD players have been replaced by Bluray players and UHD players. Bluray and UHD players also play DVD's, so there is no reason for a dedicated DVD player to exist. CD players (at least the lower and mid-priced ones) have also disappeared except at the very high end of the market. Bluray and UHD players also play CD's so there really is no real need for a dedicated CD player. 

3 hours ago, over60 said:

Therefore, the manufacturers of DVD/CD players are getting out of the business, or at least scaling back which will reduce supply and raise prices and this is not good news if you're someone like me (75 years old) who has more than a thousand DVDs/CDs, including ALL the DCI videos going back to the beginning.

Sony and Panasonic are the only ones left making disc players, and they are happy as heck about this. Chinese manufacturers pushed them out of the DVD player market, so both were determine to control the Bluray and UHD player market by not granting licenses to the Chinese manufacturers for use of their patents. I have over four three thousand Bluray, Bluray 3D, and UHD disc in my collection, and just purchased a new all region UHD player. When searching for a player, a UHD disc player is the only way to go at this moment. My new player can play CD, DVD, Bluray, UHD, SACD, and DVD-A disc, so I don't have to worry about supporting my huge collection. 

DVD sales have been falling since 2006, and CD's sales started tanking beginning in 2000. DVD is still the best selling disc format at the moment (mostly in third world countries), but semi-dead in Europe and North America. CD sales made a bit of a comeback during the pandemic, but that isn't saying much since digital media outsells it. I am not surprised to see DVD and CD no longer being supported. The market has been shrinking for decades, and there is no longer a way to make money off of either. 

• Like 2

An XBox and PS5 can play DVDs and Blurays too.

I'm not sure which plays UHDs though.

Edited by jjeffeory

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

Exactly. When the digital age started, DCI should have been on the front of this, selling ALL finals performances as standalone videos on iTunes. They could have made a killing. If you have the rights to sell the audio, you can sell the video. DCI should be making it EASIER for fans to purchase content, not harder. 

Now, there are tons of avenues to sell video. Apple, Google, YouTube, etc etc. All potential profit going down the drain. 

BUT, for all the people complaining about greedy record labels, just stop. The artists that wrote those songs have that right. They wrote it. If I wrote a song, I certainly wouldn’t allow an organization like DCI to keep 100% of the profits from my intellectual property. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

My 2020 Honda has no CD player.  I couldn’t believe it. 

My 1997 RAV4 doesn't either. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I don't blame today's artists.  I blame today's CONSUMERS who (many/most) want their music for FREE. 

Not sure if this is the case anymore. The Napster days are over. Most people pay for a music subscription service or listen free with supported ads. Part of the ad revenue goes to the artists. 

if you use YouTube for music, you’re paying for it either with a subscription or by watching ads. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Yes. Physical media is dead - hung on until Covid (on life support) but now it's kaput 

and they didnt really make money 

4 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

This is what happens as corps want to play newer music and todays artists are greedy. They’ve found ways to nickle and dime money out of people without actually having to work. (Sorry, I still believe in artists having to go out and tour to make money) 

That being said, there is simply no way DCI can keep up with licensure and fees. It’s way too time consuming and expensive. 

most rights for licensing arent actually owned by the artists. it's the Tresona's of the world

• Like 1